Chapter 27

— Chapter 27 —
It All Comes Crashing Down

=||=||=

E L L I O T

I woke up alone the next morning.

Furrowing my brows as I adjusted to the light filtering in through the windows, I realized that I was still on the couch—with Noah nowhere in sight. The nail polish and tablets were gone, too.

My figure had been moved, though, and instead of sleeping with my feet on the coffee table, I had been fully stretched out onto the couch.

Noah had layered a few blankets over me, encapsulating me in a comfortable warmth while I'd been passed out in the living room.

11:57 am, the clock on the wall read.

After managing to get myself off the couch and into the bathroom, I spent some time getting myself presentable before finding my phone and checking my messages. Nothing much, but a text from Riven did get my attention.

Riven McCallister
Today at 11:21 am

Riven:
Thanks for getting me a cab last night, I didn't think I'd get so drunk lmao.

[12:24 pm] Elliot:
It's no problem. I'm glad you stopped by, it was great catching up yesterday :)

Riven:
Oh, that's right!
The reunion party Angela is hosting tonight, forgot to ask—are you coming?

I smiled at his message and thought, actually, you did ask, but I guess you don't remember that.

Elliot:
I don't know to be honest. It's been a while since I've talked to anyone from senior year.

Riven:
Please come :') I don't wanna go on my own. Besides, it could be real fun.
At least come for the free drinks!!

Elliot:
Free drinks?
...Tempting.

Riven:
So... you'll come?

Elliot:
Alright, fine. But you're picking me up. I don't feel like taking the bus.

Riven:
Bet, I'll pick you up at 6:30 :)

A sudden voice snapped my attention away from the phone, nearly making me jump from my skin.

"What're you smiling about?"

Noah had just walked through the front door, though I hadn't heard him enter. Dressed in his work uniform and motorcycle boots, he had a backpack hanging loosely from one shoulder and a plastic bag of what looked like groceries in his free hand. His skin looked slightly stained from grease—I'd figured that he'd just finished his shift at the auto garage.

"Just Riven," I answered honestly. "There's a party tonight that he wants me to go to."

Noah furrowed his brows briefly. "Oh, the reunion thing, right?"

"You've heard about it?"

"Angela," he said, taking off his work jacket. A white t-shirt clothed him beneath it, briefly flashing his lower stomach before he adjusted it.