The Fiancé

It became a habit.

Beginning as a conscious choice, it grew with consistency and evolved into a behavior, staying by choice again to eventually become a habit.

From constant unannounced visits to his noodle stall on her free days, the governor's daughter and the former military officer had fallen into an unspoken arrangement.

What used to be surprise, and even vexation, became acquiescence...and eventually, more.

The sight of Yoon Seri sitting at one of the wooden tables in front of his humble stall had become something Ri Jeong Hyeok allowed himself to look forward to.

Initially, unwilling to grow this friendship which he couldn't visualize a good outcome from, he had often looked at her with what he knew was iciness.

Yet the more detached he acted, the closer she came, thawing that iciness with the sunshine that followed her around.

"One bowl of guksu." — that used to be how she would announce her arrival.

Unexpectedly, on Sambok, she had come looking for him with some home-cooked ginseng chicken soup.

Then one day, the governor's daughter went from being a regular customer to being a server at his humble stall.

Seri would arrive upon opening hours on certain days of the week when she wasn't working, place her purse behind the stall counter, and help with taking orders, serving the food and cleaning up after their customers.

Initially, the former military captain had tried to deter her from working at his roadside stall, going as far as to claim there was no way he could afford to hire her.

As expected, she had completely ignored his protests.

People in his neighborhood started to notice this beautiful girl who had started helping out at the noodle stall. Questions soon followed; who is she, why is she here, and how is she related to the very handsome noodle stall owner?

Jeong Hyeok always kept everyone else guessing, opting for his usual polite smile that ended conversations effectively.

Slowly, Seri became somewhat like a partner. In the professional sense.

Bit by bit, he grew to anticipate her presence, knowing it would be a bright and cheery day ahead when the familiar Plymouth Suburban slowly rolled along the narrow, bustling street.

The black vehicle imported from the United States always formed an extravagant contrast to the poverty that painted their surroundings, as she was the sunshine to his gloom.

He would soon find out from her chauffeur, a stocky man by the name of Mr. Hong, that the governor's daughter was typically a picky eater who would eat no more than three mouthfuls of food at mealtime, even if it was prepared by the most renowned chefs in town.

Yet she'd always eat Jeong Hyeok's noodles with great relish, often draining the bowl of broth.

It was surprising, in a nice way.

Despite her privileged upbringing, Seri was hardworking, motivated and had a keen eye for business opportunities, Jeong Hyeok observed.

To most people, she was usually sweet and easygoing, with a tendency to speak in a dramatic, animated manner when excited. But when she interacted with his former comrade Pyo Chi Su, there was this fiery sass that told him she was no damsel or pushover.

There was an incident which left a lasting impression on him, one which involved street thugs who had eaten two bowls of noodles at his stall. Judging from their unkempt appearance and the menacing glares that they constantly gave, it was clear that they were far from being the usual friendly customers.