Firsts

A/N: Light adult situations ahead.

—————————————————————————

The call came one evening, when she least expected it.

It had been a long day for the former military captain and the governor's daughter; they had officially reopened 'Seri's Choice' and the first day had observed brisk business as customers flocked to the noodle stall.

Serving bowls and bowls of piping hot noodles felt both familiar and foreign, as the partners operated in seamless harmony under their new system.

With tables numbered, and a simplified ordering system, efficiency was greater than before.

The charming serving lady at the stall was everyone's favorite. Ever the sweet talker, Seri laughed and joked with the customers as if they were all her friends.

Even Pyo Chi Su and Kim Joo Meok came by to show their support for the stall, providing some updates at the same time about the demonstrations, which by now were mostly confined to the city center.

With business thriving on the first day, Jeong Hyeok was actually able to close for the day ahead of time when they ran out of noodle broth.

For the stoic noodle stall owner, it was a day of firsts.

It was his first time operating the stall with a new system.

It was the first time he saw a considerable queue by his stall.

It was his first time truly smiling at customers.

It was the first time customers dared to wave goodbye to him, or to strike up some form of conversation, as Seri welcomed them with her charm and eye smiles.

It was the first time he had managed to close for the day by four in the afternoon.

The phone was still ringing, but seeing that Jeong Hyeok's hands were stained with kimchi juice from chopping the pickled vegetables up, Seri pulled herself into a standing position and made her way to the phone.

"I'll get it."

The phone continued ringing, urgent and angry.

"Good evening, this is the Ri residence."

Now, as he watched Seri pick the phone receiver up as if it was the most natural thing to do, Jeong Hyeok realized it was also the first time he would see her get so infuriated.

He had initially expected the governor's daughter to hand the receiver to him, but she never did. In fact, her facial expression, initially bright with a cheerful smile, dulled within seconds of entering the conversation.

"Yes, everything is fine. I am well. How did you get this number?"

Whoever it was on the line, Seri was clearly not too happy to hear from him or her. Her expression was neutral, unlike the times when her eyes would light up upon hearing from her parents.

"Hm. Thank you for your concern."

Another few seconds went by, and Jeong Hyeok saw how she had closed her eyes in what looked like exasperation.

"No."

The exasperated slowly dissolved into blank shock, before rising frustration was observed on her pretty features.

"No. Nothing of that sort. Look, I said 'Ri residence' out of respect for the owner of the place. Why are you so bent on making an issue out of it?"

Concerned, the former military officer hastily washed his hands and limped over to where Seri was, hoping that his questioning expression would yield an answer.