Forbidden

There was that tiny bit of tension lingering in the air, one which the governor's daughter decided she wasn't exactly fond of.

"Are you still mad at me?" Seri asked, as she helped with passing an empty bowl to the Captain, who was ladling radish water kimchi from a pot

He should have known better than to avoid her earlier. They were practically living under one roof, speaking with each other was inevitable.

He took the bowl from her.

"I was never mad at you."

Honestly, Jeong Hyeok didn't think he would ever have the capacity to dislike Yoon Seri.

"Captain Ri..." Seri put a spoon down beside the bowl of pickled radish brine which she placed on the dining table. She disliked tension, and it was the last thing she wanted to have with the Captain. "I am sorry for forcing you to speak earlier."

In his usual mild demeanor, the former military officer shook his head, wearing no hints on those handsome features that betray his innermost thoughts.

"You weren't forcing me. I'm the one who should be sorry, Miss Yoon." Jeong Hyeok quietly replied after a momentary pause. "Did it scare you?"

To be honest, watching him break down had been unsettling. But she wasn't about to let him know.

Seri chuckled dryly, narrowing her eyes in feigned annoyance. "You underestimate me. I served at the frontlines, remember? I dare say I've seen the highest, and lowest, of humanity."

Jeong Hyeok nodded at that. How could he forget, when that was one of the things he respected the most about her?

"More importantly," The governor's daughter said, "This isn't about me being scared or how I feel about it. It's about you. You should also learn to care for yourself, Captain Ri, instead of constantly worrying for me."

He didn't know how he should start caring for someone who was already dead on the inside, even if it was himself.

But Jeong Hyeok nonetheless nodded, before they sat down to a simple dinner of the steamed sweet potatoes, radish water kimchi and corn silk tea.

As the two of them ate in comfortable silence, Seri noticed Jeong Hyeok staring at her.