Still Missing My Point Of View... Oh Wait, Annabeth Gets A Dream

A  N  N  A  B  E  T  H

I was honestly furious at myself.

I mean, falling for two guys at once? Not cool, Annabeth.

Especially when I had known one of them only for a few hours at most.

But I had a crush on the other one for quite a long time. For about four years now, really. But somehow, my heart stopped fluttering in his presence. My feelings for him now were almost... brotherly. I now began to view him as a brother. Why had my feelings towards Luke changed?

And for some reason, I felt a pang of guilt every time I looked at the other guy, along with a longing to be with him. I had this sudden urge to hug him from behind, to stay with him, to hold him close to me and never let go. I hadn't felt this way even with Luke.

I had about an hour to kill, so I decided to find out more about this feeling. Yep - you guessed it - I went to the Athena Cabin's Library, inside the Cabin itself.

Confession time - I may have been too tired to actually do any research. I fell asleep the minute I sat in my chair at my desk.

What? I was tired from pulling an all-nighter while taking care of Percy. Chiron's orders. Not that I had minded. His little snores were so cute, and the frowns he got occasionally scrunched up his eyebrows so cutely I felt I would die of cuteness if I saw anymore.

Wait. What? What the hell was running through my mind?

Suddenly, I got whisked away in a very realistic dream. The same type I got once when my mother, Athena, guided me to Luke and Thalia.

She was standing on the porch of the Big House, Chiron - in his wheelchair form - playing pinochle with Mr. D, and Grover and Percy stood nearby. I faced Percy, and suddenly I proclaimed, "You drool in your sleep."

Then I turned and sprinted away.

That was a great start, Annabeth.  The thought crossed my mind as the view faded, and was soon replaced. I was suddenly now underwater, in a bubble of air, hugging Percy and sobbing. Suddenly, I said, "I love you, Percy." It was obvious to me that he hadn't heard it.

What the hell was happening? I thought as the scene faded again. This time, I was on a chariot, and the whole camp was cheering, Percy next to me. I then kissed his cheek, and the cheering got louder. Again, I didn't understand what happened, but a warm feeling was bubbling in my chest, and butterflies were in my stomach.

Then, suddenly, I was dancing with him in a school, not paying attention to anything but his gorgeous eyes. As soon as it came, it faded, and she was dancing with him again, but this time on Olympus. I couldn't wipe a stupid grin off my face, and Percy wasn't any better. Then I noticed suddenly that he had a grey streak in his hair.

It faded again, leaving me to my thoughts if I was going to be his future girlfriend or something.

The next scene was a volcano, with Telkhines in the distance, running towards them. She then kissed Percy, and an unknown longing filled her.

Soon, that faded too, and they were underwater, kissing again. The feeling filled her again, and she slowly recognized it as love from descriptions she had heard.

"Don't do the same mistake..." A voice said, as the scene faded. A beautiful girl who looked to be about twenty faded into being in front of her. "Don't do the same mistake again," she said.

I found my voice, finally. "Who're you?" I enquired, but somehow, I felt I knew the answer. I was dreading it, though.

"I am you. The elder you."

The world began spinning for her. Everything she had learnt and wanted to know - she would know. She was about to ask her a few questions, but she started speaking again.

"But... somehow, the setting seems different. It feels as if Percy is smarter this time. Either Mother's curse didn't work on him..." she trailed off, a look of confusion and dread on her face.

"Or?" I questioned, hoping it wouldn't be bad.

"Or, he remembers all of the future." She looked downright panicked and guilty at this, and tears leaked out of her eyes.

I was startled by her crying. I never cried. "Why're you crying?"

She either didn't hear me over her sobs, or she chose to ignore me. She sat down and took on the foetal position, rocking herself. She kept muttering "All my fault" and "Shouldn't have believed" and whatnot.

"What happened?" I asked her enveloping her in a hug.

She managed to explain the whole thing to me in between her sobs. "I love Percy, and we were dating. I think he was even planning on proposing to me soon. But..." she trailed off for a moment, and I saw something I never thought I would see in my own eyes - guilt and self-loathing. "One day, I saw something that looked like Percy and Lou Ellen kissing."

"Lou Ellen? As in one of the unclaimed?"

"She's a daughter of Hecate. We knew that because... she nearly started bawling again. "Because he declined immortality for getting that wish, and though he never said it, for me, since he looked at me before choosing."

I was shocked. He declined immortality for me? Then why would he cheat on me?

"Then I went and broke up with him, and while I was coming back, I heard a victorious laugh coming from behind the Hecate Cabin. I sneaked there, and there Alabaster Torrington, a son of Hecate, was cackling about how his illusions were near perfect to himself and about how he finally got revenge against Percy by throwing him into despair. I confronted him about it, and he finally confessed to making an illusion of his sister and Percy kissing so I would break up with him and leave him heartbroken."

I was horrified. What had I done?

"I then searched for him everywhere, wanting to apologize to him, and try to get him to forgive me, but I couldn't find him anywhere. I searched everywhere I could, but I couldn't find him. I thought he ran away because of me and broke down, locking myself in a room in the Big House. Two days later, Athena informed me that..." she broke down here for a while again, "That th-they c-cast him into T-Tartarus - "

I was beyond horrified now. Why would they do that?

" - because he was too strong a demigod."

Was that even a reason?

"That place was absolutely horrible the first time, and now he had to go without me, I was so in despair I suicided, and now I'm talking to you." Then she frowned. "And Annabeth?"

"Hmm?"

"Don't trust Luke. Trust Percy, and only him. Do whatever he asks you to. Because he is the most powerful demigod to ever live, even more than Hercules."

My eyes widened. More powerful than Hercules? What kind of monstrous strength did he have? Was what he said earlier true then?

"What do you - " I began to ask her, but she had already faded. I was suddenly shaken awake.

I woke up and lifted my head to find a pair of grey eyes. "What is it?" I asked Malcolm, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"It's nearly dinnertime," he said, followed immediately by the conch horn. I sighed, and stood up.

"Athena Cabin, fall in line!" I said, and they all fell behind me, eager to fill their stomach.

I, on the other hand, was troubled beyond words by my dream.

--- Published on May 12th, 2021

(1322 words)