I Get A Cool New Ride

P   E   R   C   Y

I woke up and immediately screamed.

Why? I mean, who wouldn't scream if you wake up to look at the prong of a trident pointed at your throat.

And my scream nearly killed me as the trident fell towards my neck. I wasn't able to move in time due to being extremely woozy from my 'unplanned nap', so I waited for it to pierce my neck so I'd wake up again.

Fortunately, my dad picked his trident soon enough.

"Son," he stated, with a hand over his heart, "You gave me quit the scare."

I simply shook my head and said, "Dad?"

I know, I know, you'll be like 'You already know he's your dad, dammit!' but truth be told, I don't think I should know him, seeing as he should be meeting me for the first time.

He nodded. "Yes, son. I'm sorry for - "

"It's alright, dad. I forgive you."

He sighed. "I know, it's not going to be that - huh?" He did a double take. "You do?"

I smiled. "I mean, I don't think breaking millenia-old laws meant to keep order on Earth should be broken."

He smiled and hugged me. "Thanks, son." I hugged him back.

He pulled away from the hug soon. "I think it's time we left for Olympus."

I began grumbling about loud firecrackers and drama queens, to which he laughed. "Come on, son."

He slowly took me through the palace. Well,  I say slowly, but we were swimming at about Mach 0.5.

The palace still didn't fail to amaze me. We were going slowly, true, but still, the palace was beyond amazing. Halls made of Coral, filled with fishes and other undersea life. Oysters and clams decorating the pedestals embedded with pearls. Mermen guarding doors made of limestone and marble. And finally, we reached dad's garage.

"I made this ride for you," he said as he showed it to me. It was an amazing chariot, with gold trimmings. The wheels were made of driftwood reinforced with hardwood. The horses weren't even horses, they were Hippocampi. "You can change what you want to pull your chariot," he informed me. "Normal horses, Hippocampi, maybe even pegasi if you can get some to do so. Any animal can pull it."

Wave designs were inscribed on it, along with images of me stabbing the Chimera, and me killing the Nemean Lion with a Minotaur horn as the big guy was running around in pain. Me creating a storm. Me stabbing Ares in the ankle. "It's enchanted to show your greatest victories in battle," dad explained. And those were only a few. "All yours, son." He smiled. "Hopefully, this will make up for me being absent for most of your life."

I smiled and hugged him, not trusting myself to speak. He really was one of the best parents in the mythical world.

He patted my back before pulling away. "I think it's time you left for Olympus," he informed me. I brought you to my palace, but it has been quite some time. The Summer Solstice meeting is going to begin in about an hour, so be there before."

He faded into seawater.

I sighed, before remembering something. I was more in-tune to my powers! Maybe I could try it again?

I concentrated on water particles around me, and tried to turn myself into some, and imaged myself condensing back into my form on Olympus.

News flash - it didn't work. I sighed, disappointed, before taking my chariot.

My lord, the Hippocampi greeted me. I greeted them back.

Hello. And don't call me lord.

Of course, my lord.

I facepalmed. Oh, fine. What're your names?

Hey, he asked for our names!

Yes, he did! This is amazing, we gotta tell Marlin about this!

Ahem.

Oh, sorry my lord! I'm Megan - 

 - and I'm Malt!

Okay. Now, shall we go to Camp Half-Blood?

Sure, my lord! They chorused.

Again, don't call me lord.

I didn't get a response as we shot forward. In about ten minutes, I was back on the beach, stunning Silena, who was tanning herself. With her top on, thankfully, she wasn't like the other Aphrodite girls.

"What the hell, Percy! I almost got a heart attack! Wait," she did a double take, "You're back! On a sweet chariot! And where are Annabeth and Nancy?!"

I got her off me. "Ouch," I mumbled, which elicited a giggle and an apology out of Silena, who had jumped on me when she noticed who I was. "Oh, they're both on Olympus," I answered her question. "I'm going to go there right now, in fact."

She nodded. "Okay, I'll go tell - "

"No!" I yelled, confusing her. "Don't tell Chiron yet, tell Argus to take me to the Empire State Building."

She nodded, definitely confused. "You owe me an explanation. And a blow-by-blow analysis."

I raised my hands in an 'I surrender' gesture. "Whatever you say."

She nodded in victory. "I'll tell him to meet you down the hill." And she ran off.

I shook my head and walked away. By the time I was at the base of the hill, Argus had already reached there. He gestured for me to get in, and once I had done so, he drove off. He drove quickly enough, somehow getting me to the Empire State Building in forty minutes.

I saw Annabeth and Nancy waiting for me there. They didn't notice me yet. I sneaked up on both of them. "He's late," I heard Annabeth mutter. I smirked and said, "No, I'm on time."

"Percy!" They both squealed and hugged me. I smiled and pulled out of the hug.

"As much as I'd like to stay in that hug, we have about seven minutes to get to the Council meeting." I sprinted to the man ho had the keycard to Olympus. "I need to get to the six hundredth floor."

"Kid, there is no - "

I slammed the bag they both gave me onto the table. "I presume you don't want to get smote by Zeus for not letting us return his Master Bolt to him."

He scampered back. "Here you go," he gave us the card, looking like he might need to change his pants and underwear.

I smiled a bit sadistically. "Thank you."

I don't think my smile helped with his pants.

I sprinted to the elevator and got in, followed by those two. The moment they were in, I jammed the card into a slot, and the doors closed. I punched the new button with the number six hundred on it.

Immediately, the lift shot up at dizzying speeds. I somehow managed to stay on my feet (cough, practice, cough) and the moment the door opened, I sprinted towards the throne room, not giving a single look to my surroundings. Annabeth's redesigned Olympus was way better.

I skidded to a halt at the door, and calmed my racing heart. One minute to spare. I took a deep breath and entered the council.

A bright light shone in my eyes as I felt immense power seep through the open doors, although not enough to make me shiver this time around.

And yet again, the sweet sound of silence greeted me as I made my way inside.

--- Published on May 24th, 2021

(1227 words)