12 - Free Falling Right Into a Cyclops Den

As they continued West, Quebec City faded behind them.

"You were amazing," Jason told Piper.

"Si vous saviez la vérité sur moi, vous ne penseriez pas que j'étais si incroyable," Piper replied.

Rebecca raised her eyebrows. "Since when do you speak French?"

"Since today, I guess," Piper muttered. "Boreas said it was an Aphrodite thing."

"What'd you say?" Jason asked.

"I said I only talked to Boreas. It wasn't so amazing."

"Hey," he said, "you saved me from joining Khione's subzero hero collection. I owe you one."

Leo passed them some sandwiches from his pack. He'd been quiet ever since they'd told him what happened in the throne room. "I still can't believe Khione," he said. "She looked so nice."

"Trust me, man," Jason said. "Snow may be pretty, but up close it's cold and nasty. We'll find you a better prom date."

"A much, much better prom date," Piper agreed, and Rebecca could almost hear the smirk in her voice.

Leo didn't look pleased. His mood seemed to be affecting Festus, who grumbled and steamed as he tried to keep himself warm in the cold Canadian air. Happy the Dragon was not so happy.

They ate their sandwiches as they flew. Nobody talked. Whatever they might find in Chicago, they all knew Boreas had only let them go because he figured they were already on a suicide mission.

The moon rose and stars turned overhead. Rebecca's eyes started to feel heavy. Now that she had a full stomach, she felt sleepy. She shook her head, refusing to fall asleep. She'd sleep as soon as they found somewhere to land. Definitely not in the sky, not in Zeus' territory.

Piper had fallen asleep and her head was resting on Rebecca's shoulder. Jason looked slightly jealous, so Rebecca gently eased her friend into Jason's arms.

"No need to get upset, Lover Boy," Rebecca said, causing Jason to blush. Leo snickered tiredly in front of Rebecca as he spurred Festus on.

Piper whimpered quietly in he sleep. Rebecca turned around and frowned at Piper's troubled expression.

"I think she's having a nightmare," Jason said softly, brushing Piper's bangs gently out of her face.

"Nightmares are a big part of demigod lives," Rebecca said. "Scary as they may be, they're helpful sometimes. They can be warnings about things you'll have to face later on."

Leo looked at Rebecca. "Or maybe a reminder of your past?"

Rebecca glared indignantly at Leo. "Yes, I guess so," she said through gritted teeth.

Leo took the hint and turned back around. "Well, hopefully we can—"

Without warning, Festus' head jerked to the side like he'd hit an invisible wall and Rebecca found herself flung into the air and plummeting towards the ground.

Far below she saw city lights glimmering in the early dawn, and several hundred yards away the body of the bronze dragon spinning out of control, its wings limp, fire flickering in its mouth like a badly wired lightbulb.

A body shot past her—Leo, screaming and frantically grabbing at the clouds. "Not coooooool!"

She tried to call to him, but he was already too far below.

Somewhere above her, Jason yelled, "Level out! Extend your arms and legs!"

It was hard to control her fear, but she did what he said and regained some balance. She fell spread-eagle like a skydiver, the wind underneath her like a solid block of ice. Then Jason was there, wrapping his arms around her waist. Piper was in his other arm, trying to control her breathing.