31 - Apparently I Live

Rebecca woke up in the infirmary. Her face burned with pain. Her back burned with pain. In fact, it was safe to say that her whole being burned with pain. Her world was nothing but burning pain. Her eyes hurt from the sudden light. Great, more pain.

Her right eye was covered by some sort of cloth. Probably a bandage.

Will's face loomed over her, his blond hair shining in the sunlight that streamed in from the window. "It's about time you woke up. How do you feel?"

"Like shit," Rebecca responded, her voice raspy due to her throat (which, like everything else, was burning with pain).

"Understandable," Will replied. "Leo said you'd been attacked by werewolves."

"They got back safely, then?" Rebecca asked. "They saved Hera and all that?"

"Yeah. Leo also told me that you faced Porphyrion by yourself." Will unwrapped the bandage covering the eye and winced. "The Hunters did a good job with this, but it's definitely going to scar. It'll probably fade, but... I'm sorry."

"I don't really care," Rebecca said. "As long as I can still fight."

"Well, the bandage on your eye won't have to be replaced. It's healed. I've left the bandages on your back, though. Don't train or exert yourself for a few days, though; we don't want the scratches on your back to open up again. And whoever fixed the wound to your abdomen did a really good job. It's healed nicely. Was that taken care of by the Hunters, too?"

"No, that was Leo."

"Hmm." Will helped her step out of the bed and stand up. "You sure you don't want a wheelchair or something?"

"I'm sure. I'll be fine."

After Rebecca changed into some fresh clothes (the dress Aphrodite had given her was in shreds), she and Will walked out of the infirmary, towards the commons area. Rebecca spotted Jason and Piper talking on a bench. They spotted her too and came over. Piper tried to hug her, but Will protested indignantly, wanting to spare the bandages and scarring on Rebecca's back, so Piper settled for an awkward pat on the shoulder. Jason stifled his laughter as Will walked away after getting firm agreements from both Jason and Piper that neither of them would let Rebecca do anything athletic.

"Glad to see you're finally up," Jason said.

Piper smirked and added, "Leo was really worried about you."

"Well, we're friends," Rebecca said, refusing to show any weakness. "We worry about each other, I guess."

"He kept checking in to see if you'd woken up so much that Will had to give him a temporary ban," Jason remarked.

"Yeah, even I didn't check in that often. Even Annabeth didn't."

"He probably just had extra time on his hands --"

"Actually, he's been pretty busy building the Argo II," Piper said.

"I'm sorry, what?" Rebecca frowned. "What's the Argo II?"

"The ship we're building to go on our big quest to Greece," Jason said. "Apparently while Leo was in the woods the night before our quest, he found this bunker with all sorts of blueprints and diagrams--"

"I know about that," Rebecca said. "We found it together. So you mean they're building the ship from that blueprint, the one with the mast that looks like Festus?"

Piper and Jason exchanged a look.

Piper smirked at Rebecca. "Were you with him that night?"

"Yeah, he asked me to help him find Festus in the first place, remember? He told everyone I helped him. Twice."