16 - When In Doubt, Start at the Top

In the morning, they broke camp and started down the tunnel.

It twisted and turned and seemed to go on forever. Rebecca wasn't sure what to expect at the end—a dungeon, a mad scientist's lab, or maybe a sewer reservoir where all Porta-Potty sludge ends up, forming an evil toilet face large enough to swallow the world.

She walked beside Leo, and they spoke in hushed Italian and Spanish about his visions about Silena. He'd seen not only her death, but her and Ethan's threat and the moment Rebecca had helped her escape and earned Clarisse's trust.

"Okay, I have one big question," Leo said. "You named a hellhound Mrs. O' Leary?"

"Of course that's what stands out the most to you," Rebecca said, rolling her eyes. "I didn't name her. Daedalus did."

"Daedalus as in... Labyrinth Daedalus?"

"Yes." Rebecca glanced at Leo. "You would've liked him. He talked about all sorts of machinery and architecture that only you and Annabeth would understand. And..." she lowered her voice even more. "He offered to give up his soul to Bianca so Nico and I could resurrect her."

"But Percy didn't let you," Leo said. "That's why you joined the Titan Army."

"Yes." Rebecca sighed. "I wouldn't have lasted a day back at camp if it weren't for Silena. everyone was so distrustful of me and even Percy and Annabeth, the most accepting people at camp, wouldn't even look at me for a while. In fact --"

"What are you two talking about?" Piper demanded.

"The quest," Rebecca lied smoothly. "We're trying to figure out what 'gilded traitor' means."

"You can sense metals, right?" Jason said. "Gold is a metal."

"Maybe it's because you can control it," Piper suggested.

"I can only sense metal," Rebecca said. "Even Nico, my brother, can't control metal. It's a rare power. I can only sense it because it comes from underground."

"What does it mean by 'traitor turned loyal,' though?" Jason asked. "Who did you betray?"

Rebecca hesitated. She couldn't tell them now.

"Hey, look!" Leo said. He pointed at the end of a tunnel, where they found a pair of polished steel elevator doors, each one engraved with a cursive letter M. Next to the elevator was a directory, like for a department store.

"M for Macy's?" Piper guessed. "I think they have one in downtown Chicago."

"Or Monocle Motors still?" Leo said. "Guys, read the directory. It's messed up."

Parking, Kennels, Main Entrance: Sewer Level

Furnishings and Café M: 1

Women's Fashion and Magical Appliances: 2

Men's Wear and Weaponry: 3

Cosmetics, Potions, Poisons & Sundries: 4

"Kennels for what?" Piper said. "And what kind of department store has its entrance in a sewer?"

"Or sells poisons," Rebecca added.

Leo shook his head. "Man, what does 'sundries' even mean? Is that like underwear?"

Jason took a deep breath. "When in doubt, start at the top."

The doors slid open on the fourth floor, and the scent of perfume wafted into the elevator. Jason stepped out first, sword ready. Rebecca drew her swords, following him closely.