Chapter 6

Song-  Paralyzed by NF

Alexander.

The moon hung heavy on my shoulders, somehow everything seems to happen at once in my life. And it ends up hurting the ones I love the most. 

My emotions have always been armred by logic, plans and making sure that I keep others safe. I have had no other choice. However, since I met Monica, it's like there is a war constantly brewing inside of me. I can't help but only focus on her, our pups and their safety. 

They are the most important part of me- of who I am. 

I feel this constant need to prove myself, not only as a mate, but also as a father- and to be quite honest I feel like I'm failing most of the time.

My chest tightened at the thought of her, my mate. She was like a whirlwind, untamable and so darn stubborn when she wanted to be. Above all else she is also brave, strong and an incredible mother, and mate.

Behind closed doors some would think that being an Alpha is this great task, that everything gets done for you and you sit on your ass, doing nothing, only getting the rewards that come with the title. And being a King is no different. 

It's only those that truly know you that know that being an Alpha is about keeping others safe, laying your life down for your pack, for each member, from the strongest to the ones that are the most vulnerable. 

It’s about balance and survival at all times. It’s about duty and keeping others safe, no matter the cost.

My thoughts escaped my body as my mind filled with piercing screams, making my mind race in a thousand different directions. I looked around me, only to see that somehow I was outside, running. For what I had no idea. 

The memories of the past few minutes flooded my mind, repeating the one image I wish I could change.

Nia took Xeres.

A loud, piercing growl escaped from my lips, the sound echoed through the trees, striking back at me like a boomerang.

“Alexander.” William’s desperate voice shot through my mind.

“Monica is coming, be careful.” He said, cutting the connection. His message made me growl in annoyance. 

Darn, stubborn woman.

Why did she always have to endanger herself? And for what? Did she not trust me to do what I must.

I shut my eyes forna brief moment trying to contain my anger. 

She knew better than to endanger herself. Even though I'm pissed at her, I knew above all I needed her to be safe. I would never be able to live without her, and our pups need someone if something should ever happen to me. The pack would also need her, that is… until Xerxes would be old enough to take my place.

The mere thought of them, without me, made my blood boil. However, I knew as Alpha, as King and as her mate and father of them, I needed to rise to the occasion. I needed to be stronger than ever before, because facing Nia- even with Nix, is deadly.

I walked to the direction of the last time I spotted a glimpse of Nia. It was close to the pack hospital. But, as I walked closer to the pathway, my heart stopped. For a mere second I felt my soul leave my body and everything inside my body went haywire.

Nia, in the flesh hovered over Monica, her left hand was hovering in the air- signaling that she was using magic, her fingers were holding an invisible hold onto something. I watched in mere seconds as my mate tried with her last breath to get free from her hold.