5 - FIRST ESCAPE

I sat there on the hard floor chained to a wall. The chain was uncomfortable against my wrist. My wrist was sore. Secco had already gone upstairs. I didn't know what he was doing, but I knew that I needed to get away from this chain. I could feel the anxiety eat away at me from the inside. What if I was never able to get away from them? What happens when they get bored of me? I need to entertain their weird fantasies until I figure out a way to escape.

I sat for a moment, thinking to myself. What can I use to break this chain? The chain looked old and weak. Maybe I could break the lock on the wall itself. But the only way I could break it is if I had tools. Then the idea hit me. I could use Cioccolata's tools that he used to torture me. I was so excited but nervous at the same time. This was the first plan I had thought might work since I got here.

I started crawling towards the operation table. The chain scratched across the floor; they made clanking noises as they go along. The black bag that was full of Cioccolata's tools was only a small distance away. It's all I needed to get out of this horrifying situation. I could feel the pain in my body as I moved. I couldn't think about the pain right now. I needed to keep my eyes on getting that bag.

The chain stopped moving. It stopped dragging across the floor; the clanking noise came to an end. The chain was barely long enough. I stretched out my arm as far as I could; my fingers were barely able to reach the bag. I kept trying. Eventually, the bag fell onto the floor, hearing all of the tools inside fall with it. Yes. Finally. I can finally try escaping. The sudden fear then hit me like a truck. What if I get caught? I couldn't imagine the pain I'll go through once I'm caught. My hands shook as I picked up the bag and slowly crawled back towards the lock. I opened the bag and looked around in the bag. I eventually found a saw. My eyes widened as I smiled at the tool in my hand. As soon as I found it, I got to work. I started cutting. The saw went back and forth, slowly cutting into the chain. I figured the chain wouldn't take too long to cut since it was small and kind of old.

Ultimately, part of the chain broke. Throwing the saw to the floor, I smiled and started towards the door. I didn't have any other plan to make it past Secco, but I knew that this was the only way I had to escape. When I made it to the steps, I slowly put my foot on the step. It made a loud creaking noise. I gradually made my way up the stairs, one by one. I was so scared. My entire body was shaking; I could feel my teeth chattering. Then, I made it to the door. I turned the doorknob. This was my escape. Everything was riding on this. The door slowly opened. I stepped out of the basement and looked around. It looked liked the basement door was located inside of the kitchen. The kitchen was small. It held a small table with four chairs, a sink, counters that lined the wall, a fridge, a stove, and some cabinets. On the table sat a vase full of fully bloomed red roses. The counters looked clean. To my surprise, it looked homey.

     I walked towards the counters and started opening the drawers. Inside the drawer were a lot of things; it looks like I opened the junk drawer. Before I could look around any longer, I felt a strong hand touch my shoulder. I gasped with my entire body suspended in fear. Secco. I couldn't even face the person who loomed behind me. I forced my body to turn around; I met eyes with Cioccolata. Cioccolata did not look happy to see me. He had a look of annoyance and almost anger on his face.

     "Secco, why is the pet out of its cage?" Cioccolata asked through gritted teeth. Secco stared at me with his wide eyes. He looked shaken up. I almost felt bad for him in a strange sort of way.

     "Answer me. Now." Cioccolata spat.

     "I only left the room for a few minutes! I swear! I was looking after them like you said, I promise!" Secco squabbled through stammering. Cioccolata let out a hard sigh and grabbed me by my arm. He began to drag me down to that accursed basement. I fought and struggled. Biting and scratching, anything I could do to get away from him.

     "I see you still need to be broken. I'll have to work on you some more." Cioccolata asserted. Secco toppled towards the door, quick to open it.    

     Cioccolata pulled and tugged until he finally brought me to the door. I was so frightened. My entire body was in a frenzy trying to get away from this man. Cioccolata was very agitated, his grip was becoming looser because of my antics. Then my foot slipped. Cioccolata's grip was completely gone as I plummeted down the stairs. I suddenly felt a snap in my leg and one in my arm. I felt like I couldn't breathe. The pain was unbearable. The pain from the fall and the pain from the torture I had endured all at once. I could feel hot tears rushing down my face. The breath hitched in my throat as I cried. This was pathetic. I can't believe I'm crying in front of them.

     Cioccolata made careful steps towards me. I could hear him giggling quietly to himself, "I think you might wanna start listening soon, or else next time this won't be an accident." he said through the laughter. I couldn't look at him. I couldn't even open my eyes. Everything was blocked out until I felt his arms wrap around me, lifting me. Then he put my limp body on the cold operating table. Not again.