𝐕𝐈𝐈

/ DEFYING THE ODDS /

VII. FLUTTERY FEELING

    Chatter from the villagers surged through the markets as merchants peddled their goods. Eleanor and Anne accompanied Morgana and Gwen as they scoured through assorted types of fabric, modeling it to each other whilst sharing laughs. A fabric made of some sort of silky material caught Eleanor's eye, compelling her to swath it around her head and pose in front of her friends.

     "This fabric suits your eyes well," Morgana complimented as she looked through the jewelry. "You should purchase it."

     "Like my father would allow me to purchase any more garments."

     Before Morgana could reply, an elderly woman abruptly snatched her wrist, inducing her to gasp in surprise. Eleanor snapped her head toward the unknown woman at her brusque appearance. The princess looked to Morgana to see if the woman posed any threat as she spoke.

     "Help me please," the woman begged. "Please, just spare me a few minutes of your time, sister."

     Morgana nodded, placing her hand on top of the lady's. Her countenance softened, sporting a soft smile as she began to follow the elderly woman. Though Eleanor had her suspicions, she trusted Morgana's instincts and concluded the elderly lady was not a threat. Gwen, however, still had her guard up.

     "My lady," Gwen called out.

     "It's all right, Gwen," Morgana reassured. "I won't be a moment."

      As Morgana took off, Gwen remained concerned about the well-being of the king's ward. Eleanor placed a solacing hand on her shoulder in hopes to calm Gwen's nerves. 

     "You mustn't worry so much, Gwen," Eleanor said. "I believe she's just assisting her."

     "Yeah," Gwen replied, unconvinced.

     Morgana and the elderly woman, who was Morgauses in disguise, finally reached a vacant area behind a wall, speaking freely once they ensured that they were out of earshot from those who could raise suspicions.

     "We must be quick, sister," Morgauses whispered. "This enchantment will not hold for long. Tell me, what has Arthur chosen as his quest?"

     "He sets out tomorrow for perilous lands."

     A smile grew on Morgauses's face. "How perfect."

     Morgana grinned in response as Morgauses pulled out a bracelet with a bright, auburn stone.

     "Present this to the prince as a token of your good wishes. When the time is right, you must make a likeness of the prince and bind it to the gift using the skills that I taught you. When he does not return, you, sister, will take your rightful place as the sole heir to the throne of Camelot."