𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

/ DEFYING THE ODDS /

08. SURPRISE PARTY

     "Why were those men so angry?" Merlin questioned once they had slowed their pace outside of town.

     Eleanor's ears perked awaiting Gwaine's answer. Based on what she heard about him during his stay at Camelot, she knew that trouble often followed him with every tavern he visited. Gwaine stole a glance at the princess before answering Merlin.

     "It's always the way in gambling," Gwaine revealed, his arms remaining around the princess's waist. "You make a man a fool, he calls you a thief."

     A chuckle emitted from Eleanor's lips. "Well, it's nice to know that you haven't changed."

     Gwaine hummed as he leaned closer to her, a subtle hint of lavender flooding his nose. "How'd you two find me anyway?"

     "It wasn't easy," Eleanor huffed, recalling the past twenty-four hours of them visiting every bar in town. She still couldn't get rid of the scent of liquor that stained her sense of smell.

     "We've been in almost every tavern in Engard. Almost tempted Eleanor to drink as well."

     "Was the longing for my presence the cause of your temptation, my lady?"

     Eleanor looked over her shoulder, a smirk dancing onto her lips. "Is that what you dream of? Me longing for your presence?"

     "Every night."

     "Well, too bad you're awake," Eleanor quipped, erring to mask the contentment from her expression.

     "Yeah, too bad," Gwaine grinned.

     Merlin raised his eyebrows in amusement. He knew the pair would've rejoiced in reuniting, but he hadn't expected it to be so instantaneous. "You do know that this is a rescue mission for Arthur, not an opportunity for you two to ride off into the sunset."

     "Shut up, Merlin," Eleanor sighed, masking the grin that once occupied her face. "I'm here to ensure my brother's safe return to Camelot, not seek a forbidden courtship."

     "Oh, I'm sure," Merlin teased.

     Eleanor leaned forward, looking at her horse. "Are you trained to kick a man off his horse? If so, right now is the time to do it."

     The three continued to travel throughout the afternoon, taking short breaks in between. In the middle of their journey, Gwaine ended up taking the horse's lead as Eleanor began to feel tired, resting her head on Gwaine's shoulder blade. Of course, Merlin had some comments about that, earning him menacing glares from the princess. He knew he would have to pay for it once they returned to Camelot, but that was a price he was willing to pay just to see Eleanor so vexed. Once the sun neared the horizon, they finally arrived at their destination.