𝐈𝐗

/ DEFYING THE ODDS /

09. EMRYS AND THE HEART

AS THE FOUR OF THEM TRUDGED UP THE STAIRS, MERLIN stopped in his tracks, facing the entrance toward his left.

"Look at this," Merlin called out. "Looks like a throne room."

Eleanor followed Merlin, furrowing her eyebrows. "Do you think the trident is hidden here?"

"Well, if it's going to be anywhere," Arthur stated, appearing behind them.

As they inched closer, Merlin stepped on what seemed to be a switch, causing the door to shut suddenly. Upon instinct, Gwaine pushed Eleanor forward, provoking her to drag Merlin along as an attempt to regain balance.

Arthur banged on the cement as he called out to his sister and servant.

"Merlin! Eleanor! Are you all right?"

"Gwaine! Arthur!" Eleanor exclaimed whilst Merlin placed his ear on the door, trying to make out any voices.

"I don't think they can hear us," Merlin exhaled sharply as he backed away. "With you on this side, Arthur would've definitely thrown a fit by now."

Eleanor suspired, examining her surroundings. "Well, we might as well search for the trident whilst we're stuck here."

The two roamed around the throne room as they sought for the trident or a way to escape. Merlin hesitantly made his way toward the throne, slightly jolting at the voice that spoke to him above a whisper.

"So, Emrys, you are here at last. Ah, along with Princess Eleanor."

Eleanor's eyes widened. "Who's Emrys?"

Merlin stumbled over his words as he thought of a way to get out of his current situation. "Uh, I'm not sure."

Eleanor hummed unconvinced as she proceeded. "Well, I'm Princess Eleanor, so I'm assuming you're Emrys."

"You're mistaken."

"Or you're hiding something," Eleanor said, marching towards the throne before pointing at Merlin. "Is he the Emrys you speak of?"

"Yes," the Fisher King confirmed, causing Eleanor to hit Merlin up the head.

"Ow!"

"Don't lie to me again," Eleanor scolded before facing the Fisher King. "So, the rumors are true. You're still alive."

"For now," the Fisher King answered.

"Now, I'm sure if we just reach in here," Arthur began as he wiggled a cement block from its place.

The two immediately jerked away as insects began to pour out from the hole.

"...We'll be able to find something to release the door."