Chapter 10

QOTD: favorite season?

Like every other day, Valen wakes up at exactly nine o'clock

Like every other day, Valen wakes up at exactly nine o'clock. He's still tired when he forces himself to sit up and check his phone but he refuses to let himself fall back asleep, knowing it would mess up the schedule he has set in his head. Just the thought leaves an uncomfortable feeling in his stomach.

Routine, he thinks, he likes routine.

Groggily looking over, he blinks at Kahili's and Ardyn's sleeping bodies. Unable to help it, his lips twitch up, seeing their identical positions. They're both laying face first in a pillow, and it makes Valen wonder how they're breathing.

Ardyn went to sleep in the middle, so Valen's unsure why Kahili's now between them, but he doesn't ponder on it, deciding to take his pills instead.

He quietly slips out of bed and pads over to his dresser, where six different bottles of pills neatly sit. He's thought about keeping them in the bathroom but every time he does, he remembers how Kahili routinely forgets to put the seat down and immediately squashes the thought.

There's a water bottle already waiting for him and he feels a fond feeling course through him, knowing Kahili put it there.

He takes all six pills together, used to it after taking them his whole life. No- it started at four years old, he thinks, and then they kept adding pills over the years. He was taking eight at one point, but eventually reduced it down to six.

Valen's morning goes like any other. He takes his pills, uses the bathroom, and quietly gets back in bed to wait until Kahili wakes up. He checks his email and frowns when there's thirty new ones, he just checked last night, but because it was work, he puts his earphones in and silently responds to them all.

Jazz filters through his ears. It's soft and gentle, coming from a carefully crafted playlist he's made over the years. He knows each song by heart now, always reluctant to add new ones. He doesn't like change, even for something so small as adding a song to his playlist.

Routine, he thinks, he likes it.

Ardyn is an exception to that, just like their past subs. Valen doesn't normally like them spending the night, but he doesn't find himself minding that Ardyn is, even liking it in fact.

Valen's so used to just him and Kahili, and he likes it that way. Anything else long term makes him uncomfortable because he can feel his days changing, straying from his usual routine that he strictly follows. Surprisingly, he doesn't feel that way now. It feels normal to wake up and see Kahili and Ardyn in his bed, and Valen's unsure how to feel about it. He only knows it doesn't make him uncomfortable.

Valen doesn't hear their doorbell ring, but he gets a notification on his phone that someone does. When he checks the camera, he has told off a sigh seeing who it is.