Chapter 14

i cannot bring myself to actually picture valen with brown hair. in my head it's black

if you don't vote you're ugly and gonna fail your exams

Freshly showered, Valen's hair stains his tshirt a darker shade

Freshly showered, Valen's hair stains his tshirt a darker shade. The dark blue bleeds even darker around his shoulders. He's positive it's his older brothers shirt, possibly even his dads. He rules out Clementine, knowing he wouldn't wear something so old.

He gently leans over the round table in their room, examining Kahili's work. It's bright, he notices first, immediately drawn to the colored one. Just looking at the other designs, he can already tell they'd be bright as well.

He can instantly tell Kahili drew them. From the heavy lines to the detailed shading, it's all unmistakably Kahili. Valen wonders where he got the inspiration from, doubting Kahili could imagine him in these clothes.

"These are really beautiful, honey." He compliments, earnest in every was possible. Valen's seen Kahili design a number of things over the years, but these oddly stick with him more than the others. Maybe it's the bright colors, he thinks, wondering why he was so taken with them. "Did you just randomly think of it?"

Kahili's pulling his shirt over his head when Valen glances over at him. He uses the extra few seconds to think, unsure what to say. It's just work, he knows, but it doesn't just feel like work- it feels like going behind his husbands back. "Kind of," he settles for.

"Mm?" Valen hums softly, gaze settling back on the sketches. His eyes are drawn to the bottom and almost immediately, he realizes it's empty. "Is this one done?" He holds up the only colored design.

"Yeah, I still need to color the others."

Valen makes a noise of understanding, carefully setting it back down. Maybe he forgot, he tells himself. The bottom looked so naked. It was always so small and almost everyone overlooked it, but Valen always noticed. To my lovely husband, he couldn't find it anywhere on the page.

Kahili sits on the edge of the bed, just about to explain to Valen where he got the inspiration from, but Valen gives the sketches one last look and comes over to the bed, easily settling himself in Kahili's lap.

Valen wraps his arms around Kahili's neck, fingers softly playing with the hairs tickling his nape. "You look like you wanna tell me something."

"Do I?" Kahili muses quietly. "What makes you say that?"

"Because you're my husband, and we've known each other a long time." Valen explains. "If I'm wrong that's fine." He easily settles, lightly scratching at Kahili's nape. "You don't have to tell me anything."

Valen's hard to talk to sometimes, Kahili thinks. He can be so intimidating, intentional or not. His arms circle Valen's waist, pulling him closer so they're flush against each other. "You said you wanted to talk."