Chapter 9- Gossip

I heard the rushing of water underneath my feet and the clash as the water hit the cliffs. The bridge of the chasm had been built back, and I stood on it, remembering.

“Had a close call?” the dainty voice called from behind me.

Suddenly, it was if fear had literally gripped my throat. I couldn’t breathe. I turned to see Jeanine, and upon realizing my loss of breath, threw her head back and laughed.

“Don’t worry, little sister.” She said as she approached me, her hands now on my shoulders. “You won’t be breathing much longer anyways. This is your fault. You tried to forget. You can never forget.”

She pushed my shoulders and I began stumbling backwards, and… off of the railing. I tried to scream, but nothing came out.

“Rose!” Eric shouted, as he shook me awake.

I put my head in my hands and began to weep. Eric flipped on the bedside lamp, which cast a dull glow throughout the room. He sat down beside me, and placed an arm around me, comforting me. I felt his bare skin against mine. He was shirtless, the toned muscles of his chest sticking out boldly.

He said nothing, just sat there beside me. I inhaled the sweet scent of his cologne and tried to make myself remember the smell in case I became factionless. I laid my head on Eric’s chest, and drifted off into a deep sleep.

My eyes blinked open and I looked around confused. Eric’s arm was draped across my waist, his head just above mine. He was snoring soundly beside him. I accidentally laughed aloud when I noticed that he was sleeping with his mouth wide open.

Eric stirred and sat up, rubbing his eyes. “Oh god,” he cursed. “This is so unprofessional. I promise you that I didn’t mean to fall asleep like that… or to fall asleep with you at all.”

“Don’t worry. This is a day at the park compared to the agony I go through when you kiss me.” I said, as I laid back down, placing a pillow on my head to block out the light cast by the bedside lamp that was never turned off.

I felt Eric’s body shake with a silent laugh, “You kissed back, liar.”

“I was taken off guard. You probably have cooties.” I joked.

“Guilty,” he answered, as he, too, laid back down. “But now we both have them.”

I almost fell back asleep until Eric blurted out, “You missed the rankings, by the way.”

I shot up from underneath the pillow, making Eric jump up as well, “What did I get?! Am I factionless?!” I shouted.

“Think a little. If you were factionless, you wouldn’t be here now.” He laughed. “You were in second place, behind Jackson.”

I smiled largely. “Who was factionless?”

“Two Dauntless-born and a transfer. Dauntless-born get so cocky and think they don’t have to work because they were born here. They usually go fast.” He answered.