Chapter 14- Play the Villain

Drip. Drip. Drip.

I smiled, half asleep, as the soft trickle of rain poured down. I loved sleeping to the sound of the sweet drizzle outside.

I smiled even wider when I realized where I was. I was in Eric's apartment, his bed to be exact, and there was no place on earth I'd rather be. My heart fluttered when I heard the soft purr of his snoring beside me. Well, not exactly a soft purr, nor anything like sweet snoring. It was more of a gurgling sound.

My heart sank. How could I hear rain? Dauntless headquarters was like an enormous coliseum made of stone. The sound of rain couldn't penetrate that, and this sound of loud as if it was raining in this very room.

Oh, well. I thought. Perhaps Eric spilt something.

Eric. I remembered, smiling sweetly. His breath-taking self was sleeping soundly mere inches from myself. I began to reach over to slide my arm across his muscular chest, eyes still closed.

My hand made contact with his cold, still body. My eyes flew open when my hand slid into a warm, thick liquid. Eric lay beside me, his eyes and mouth open wide as if he were still in shock. His breathing was nonexistent.

Blood poured from the gaping hole in his chest that read 'RAT'. It flowed over him and dripped onto the floor.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

My mouth flew open, trying to form a scream. Nothing came out, as I tumbled back and onto the floor, backing away, as tears flowed just as the blood from Eric's chest did.

"Eric!" I finally screamed.

"Rose." A response came, shaking me awake.

I shot up and fell into the muscular arms of Eric. He cupped a hand on the back of my hand, gently rocking me.

"It was just a dream." He cooed.

Tears still flowed freely from my eyes, as I gripped Eric tightly against me. His shoulder was wet with my tears.

He laid back down on the soft, silky bed and pulled me atop his chest. My crying has ceased to a dull whimper.

"Now what was it about?" he said with a kiss to my forehead, as he began to play with my tangled mess of hair.

"You d-died," I said through whimpers.

He let out a quiet chuckle. "I seriously doubt you care that much for me."

"You've seen my fears, jerk." I laughed, no longer crying.

He squeezed me into a tight hug, lingering there with his arms around me. I nuzzled into his neck, savoring the sweet smell and feel of Eric.

"What would you do if I died?" I asked randomly, unsure of why the question had crossed my mind.

I felt him stiffen. "There wouldn't be a reason to continue living. My entire life, all I've ever known was being broken. Now that I've felt how it feels to be whole, to have a purpose in life, there's no going back. A man can't live without his heart, Rose. And now you have mine."

I reached up and kissed him softly and slowly, trying to make every embrace of our lips last forever.

I pulled away, asking with our foreheads against each other's, "Eric, if I die, suicide can't be an option. You have to promise me."

His eyes closed, as if he was deep in thought. His grip tightened on my waist, pulling me so close that absolutely no space lay between us.

"I promise." He said in such a whisper that I barely caught it. "But, if... something happened to you, I can't promise that my death won't lie in someone else's hands."

"You can't have someone else kill you, Eric. That counts."

"Oh, I wouldn't. I'd spend the rest of my life playing the villain. You know as well as I do that good always triumphs evil. When is the last time you read a book where evil won? Never." He replied. "It wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Everyone hates me already. I'll side with evil even if it means I'll be damned."

I sighed and laid my head on his chest. He took my chin in his hands, bringing my face to look at his. "But don't talk like this. Nothing is going to happen to you. You're the light at the end of my tunnel. If there's any type of a righteous God, I'm sure he would have the decency to not take something so perfect away from me."

I smiled and kissed him softly. However, those soft kisses became more passionate as I envisioned our life together, with Eric always by my side.

He let out a deep moan, as the door of his bedroom swung open.

Four stood in the doorway, a look of pure horror on his face. I pulled away from Eric, revealing to my terror that I was still in my bra and panties from last night.

"Oh my god," Four shouted, as he pulled the door shut and sprinted into the living room.

"Jesus Christ." Eric grumbled, sitting up from the bed and making his way out the door. "Put some... uh... clothes on, I guess." He had left the door cracked open just enough for me to see into the living room with one eye, although I could hear them quite clearly when I leaned in enough.

Eric sat on the couch, shirtless, with his face shamefully in his hands. Four sat beside him, stiff looking, in a black v-neck with matching black pants. He had an expression of pure embarrassment.

"So," Four began, his mouth forming a tight line as if he had absolutely no idea to begin.

"I love her." Eric began, cutting him off. He raised his face out of his hands to face Four. Although I couldn't see that side of his face, I knew his expression was void of all amusement, but more serious.

Four remained stiffened, but a look of relief washed over his face. "I know. I guess I just wasn't all that prepared when I walked into the apartment that I was going to interrupt you sleeping with an initiate."

"I wasn't sleeping with her."

"Sorry, 'making love'." Four corrected.

"No, idiot. I mean there was no sexual contact at all. I've only kissed her. For Christ's sake, she was my first kiss." Eric said, completely annoyed.

"If there was no sexual contact, then why was she naked? Don't tell me it got too hot in your apartment. It's actually pretty chilly."

"You saw her fear. I felt like I was just proving it true, even though I knew it wasn't real." Eric argued. "Why the hell are you in my apartment anyways?"

"You never showed up to go to Erudite to apologize with Max, so he sent me to get you. I guess he figured that you had overslept, so he gave me a key to just walk in. You got lucky, Eric. Imagine if Max had decided to get you himself."

Eric jumped up. "Shit! I forgot about Erudite! God, I'm definitely losing my job."

He ran into the bedroom, running into me. He smiled when he realized that I had been eavesdropping.

"You're devious," he grinned, kissing me quickly. He pulled the first shirt he found on the floor over his head and started for the front door.

"You're not going to tell Max this, are you?" he asked Four.

Four rose from his awkward position on the couch and begin making it to the doorway behind Eric.

"I'm keeping this a secret, but not for you. I'd rat you out in a heartbeat. I'm not telling, but only for Rose's sake." Four answered, pushing Eric out of his way and out the door he went.