•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 3•

•OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA•

Olivia's POV

"I'm not paying for this! It's not even what I ordered!"

The buzzing crowd behind the disgruntled customer groaned as more patrons pushed through the door. Why did this dumb broad have to screw with me—and during the breakfast rush. I swear if we actually owned this place, I'd tell Papa to close.

The verbal abuse I got on the regular is not worth the weak protection we've been getting from the Mancini family.

The woman hurled a fist full of cash and coins at my face before snatching her muffins from the counter and stomping off, pushing through the now happy crowd.

I served customer after customer, sliding lattes, muffins, and fake smiles in every direction. I was finally able to give my cheeks a rest when the last breakfast rush customer left, and I noticed the clock on the wall.

11: 05

I slipped my coral-colored apron over my messy bun and flyaways and grabbed the table rag from my back pocket.

I shimmied around the wearing-wood tables and wiped them down as my finger pressed into a moist wad of gum for the fourth time in ten minutes.

"Fu—you've got to be kiddin' me!" My lips curled as I wiped my hand against my jeans.

"I told you to wear gloves when you clean those tables. The clientele here pay the bills, but they're nasty."

My eyes turned into saucers as my head snapped up to meet a familiar glowing smile standing in the front doorway.

"Oh my god! MATÌAS?!" I flew around the table and slammed into his body as my arms squeezed the life from him.

A warm, bubbly laugh rolled from his lips as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Hey Olliepop."

"Ech!" —I forced my elbow into Matias's chest, pushing him away— "I hate when you call me that."

He gave me a sly smile and fiddled with my bun. I took a quick survey of the basically empty street and pulled Mat into the building, locking the door behind him.

"What are you doing here? How's your baby boy?" I asked and playfully punched his shoulder.

"He's....not exactly a baby anymore. Daniel's five now." He let out a short laugh.

"SHUT UP! The last time I saw him was at the hospital...with Veronica."

Melancholy twisted his lips into a lopsided grin.

"Heh, yeah. It's been a minute."

"Yeah, it has. I—I'm really sorry about what happened, Mat. I wanted to make the funeral, so bad."

Matias's forehead creased while his jaw twitched. "Grazie, Olivia. It was probably safer for you guys to stay away. Dad would've just thought Mancini sent you."

"Hmph, you're probably right. So, like, what are you doing here? I thought you'd be in Jersey for at least another year."

My friend looked me up and down with his stupid little smirk, "I'm handling business."

"Hopefully that includes taking over our place again soon." I crossed my arms and returned behind the counter.

"My dad and I are working on it."

I leaned forward on my elbows and played with a scrap piece of straw paper on the counter as Matias sat opposite of me. "How is Major Payne anyway, still running things with an iron fist?"