•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 26, ᴘᴀʀᴛ I•

•OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA•

Julia's POV

"So let me get this straight. You told him about Adrian and he was just...chill with it?" Olivia tilted her head as she stirred the bottom of her mocha iced coffee.

"You didn't hear anything I said." I sipped my morning tea as I grabbed Nick's snack.

"You didn't explain it right. Say it again."

I huffed and leaned my butt against the kitchen counter, "I told Mat that Nick's dad worked for the Maniscalco family- he was their driver, but he was killed in a car accident caused by a drunk driver."

"Did you use any names?"

"Do I have stupid written across my forehead- better yet, don't answer that. He didn't ask, I didn't tell."

Olivia held the straw at the edge of her tongue as she looked up to me, "And Matìas bought it?"

"He seemed to. I made sure to mention that Nick's dad never let me get close to the family, so the only thing I know about them is their name."

"Hmm...so now what?"

"What do you mean?" I took a sip that burned the tip of my tongue.

"Are you two still gonna keep seeing each other?

"I want to- like, I really want to, but his dad..." my eyes fell to the sinking tea bag in my owl shaped mug, "I can't forget about what he said and how he...made me feel."

Olivia came over and stood beside me, "I'm sorry about that. If I would've known that's where he was  taking you I would've tried convincing him to wait."

She shook her head and closed her eyes, "Matt's sometimes got a problem thinking about the effects of his actions."

"I think we have that in common..." -I picked up my purse- "Did I get any calls last night?"

Olivia shook her head, "Nope. No calls, no texts, no emails- well one email. It was from Candace? She said 'cafeteria, deep cleaning, bag lunches all week'."

"Well I guess I'll be buying lunch out today."

"You'll take any excuse to spend money at Tian's Seafood."

I took half a sip and dumped the rest of my tea down the drain as I broke out into a bright smile, "I sure will! How am I supposed to resist their lobster bisque? It's almost better than-"

"Please don't say better than sex. That is so overused!" Olivia shook her cup, adjusting her straw to get the coffee at the bottom.

"Well...it is."

"With who; Andres, Adrian, or Matìas?"

I nearly broke my neck as my head spun to face Olivia.

"Low blow even for you Liv." -I growled and shoved her harshly to the side- "Way to ruin the moment puttana. Go to work."

"That was low, my bad."

Olivia chuckled as I stomped out of the kitchen to get Nicolai and leave for school.

"Pick me up a crab cake please."

Like I said, she was my best friend. I knew everything she did originated from love or a craving to piss me off. 50/50.

• • • •

"Liliana you don't need your umbrella in the cafeteria! That's how you lost the other two!" My strained voice rose above the loud ramblings of the sixteen five-year-olds in my classroom.