•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 29•

•SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA•

Julia's POV

The sun finally settled over the horizon casting a warm amber shine across the city of San Francisco, sending glows of dusk into Nicolai's hospital room.

I laid with him in my arms, stroking and nuzzling my cheek against his curls as my left and right brain stayed on opposite ends of the spectrum.

"Why didn't you tell me Nicolai was yours?"

I finally glanced to Andres who was sitting in a chair at the edge of the bed with his elbows propping him up as he massaged Nick's foot.

"I thought you knew."

"You thought I knew Nick wasn't Adrian's kid? Did your IQ drop sharply when you got off the plane?"

Andres pursed his lips, breaking eye contact with me, "I didn't want to put you under any more stress, besides nothing would've changed—my brother would've still wanted you dead. If he knew you and Nick were alive and he wasn't his...."

"...I understand that. When did you find out?"

"Remember that night Nicolai had croup? And I took him out for some cool air?"

I nodded—vaguely recalling the memory.

"I took him to the hospital to get tested then. Got the results a few days later."

I teetered on a decision beam of being upset that Andres hid this from me and being relieved that Nicolai was not the seed of Adrian.

"You still could've told me Andres. I'm his mother." I stated lacing my words with dominance.

"I know Julia; which is why you're not going to like what I say next." Andres sat erect as he crossed his legs and placed his arms casually in his lap.

Curiosity kicked my head to the side.

"I'm taking Nicky out of school and sending him to live with your mom."

"What?!" —I shot up, trying to avoid Nick's IV— "You can't do that Andres!"

"Lower your voice Julia," —he scanned our still sleeping son as we met at the foot of the bed—"I can and will. It's not safe for him here."

"So when am I supposed to see him?"

"You can see him whenever you want. You could even move with him, but staying here is not an option for Nicolai."

A string of memories of Matías trailed through my mind.

"I don't know if I can leave right now. W-What about work?"

"Why would that be an issue?" 

"It just is." I answered softly. 

"Julia-"

"Why are you trying to uproot us? What aren't you telling me?"

Andres took two steps back as he examined my expression, "Why am I getting so much pushback from you? It's for your safety. What aren't you telling me?

Our usual silent showdown proceeded, interrupted shortly after beginning by the sharp buzz of my cell phone. It rattled on the stand closest to Andres with the name 'Matías <3' mocking me across the screen.

Andres glided to the table and cocked an eyebrow while holding the device in the air for me to see.

I prayed that Matías would hurry and leave a message or maybe it'd be a butt dial and he'd just hang up.