•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8•

▪️Present▪️

•CARDIFF, UNITED KINGDOM•

Andres' POV

"Don't stay up too late Polpetta, okay? We have a full day tomorrow." I pecked Nicolai on the forehead.

"Mkay. I won't." He shooed as his finger eagerly pressed the 'resume game' button on his device.

The corners of my mouth quirked upward as I shook my head and closed his the door to his bedroom. I twisted my wrist exposing my the face of my watch.

10: 43

I had everything timed out perfectly. UK was five hours ahead of Atlanta, where I was supposed to be, so I had plenty of time to check in and keep my men on target.

As I flipped on the light and I stepped into my room for the weekend, Julia's fiery scowl flashed across my mind.

Deep down I probably knew that I shouldn't have said anything, even to Nial, but I know where healing on your own gets you. She needed the push.

Being a Maniscalco came with some fine print, but I always felt the women in the family shouldn't have to pay for it. My grandmother's disappearance, mother's death- Julia's pain. It wasn't deserved. All they did was fall in love with the wrong man.

I beelined to the bathroom and stripped off my pale green shirt. My nightly hygiene routine flowed normally and I reached for my black shaving kit bag.

After shuffling the blades to the side I found what I was looking for.

A packet of pink pills.

I heaved a sigh of relief. Missing a business deal already had me on edge. Without these, I'd be up all night at the mercy of my memories.

I popped one under my tongue, downing it with tap water and practically leaped under the covers after setting my alarm for 2 a.m.

My eyes finally rested with my pink savior blanketing my mind and rocking me to sleep.

• •  • •

Two a.m hit me like a truck as my phone alarm snatched me from slumber.

I rolled over to turn it off realizing my phone was actually ringing and the name Leo illuminated across the screen.

"Come va?" (what's up?) I picked up and nested the phone between my ear and shoulder while I grabbed the water bottle on the nightstand.

"We have a problem." Leo's voice deadpanned.

"What kind of problem Leo."

I pushed myself up on the large pillow beside me as my lips curled and I repeated, "What kind of problem, Leo?"

"I did all I could Andres, I really did! We were outnumbered!" Leo's words ran together as he spewed excuses.

"Slow down! What happened?"

"Troy took the shipment. He took the shipment and two of our men captive."

"Merda." -I cursed under my breath- "Where are you now?"

"Me, Christiano, and Roman are headed to one of Troy's clubs."

I shut my eyes and took a deep breath, trying not to lose my temper. My father getting sick was a curse on this family. No one knew what to do, yet they all seemed to want to take the lead.

"No, Leo! Go back to the hotel and wait for me there."

"But what am I supposed to say to Adrian?"

"Why would you say anything? I'm in charge of this transaction."