A flower for the fallen

[Trigger warning: mentioning of fight,blood and death, sadness, angst, emotions, fire, religion, flash backs, regrets, wounds and injuries, weapons]

While there was a huge change in our lifes, I tried my hardest to keep going, to follow my old routines, to distract myself...

The news that spread around in the camp of the dead horses left everyone in shock and deep sadness. Every morning I watched Follows-Chalk going up there, visiting the courier or what was left of her. He placed flowers on the wounds that her body had consumed during the fight. Different types of plants covered the rivers of her blood. Follows-Chalk had even decorated the machete to get rid of the horror and the terrible thought of how she found her death.

But even though the flowers with their beauty and color couldn't take the pain. Nothing could. Not even the Lord. 

While Chalk spent most of the day time there, I visited her during the night. As the sun was about to settle down, I looked at the sky. The most beautiful colors painted the horizon, clouds that looked like soft foam of the sea, glimmed purple. Gold and bare silver above the Mojave. 

"She is painting the sky for us every single day." Follows-Chalk whispered, wiping away a tear that was running down his cheek.

I turned around and looked at my friend, then I raised my head towards the sky again and nodded. I felt bad for Chalk because I know that they had a lot to share.

"She is the wind that will always lead us, watching over the Mojave. A guardian angel, the Lord gave her her wings back." I mumbled, lost in my own thoughts for a second. My words seemed to release some weight from his heart. Follows-Chalk didn't say anything, he just looked at the sky.

-

-

I slowly walked the path that once led me to the terrible reality that ruled this earth. Flowers and plants on each side, hiding what once happened here. As I reached the top, a deep sigh leaving my lips, in my hand I held a Broc-Flower, her favorite. Gentle and calm it layed next to the machete no one dared to pull out. At least her was showed some sort of respect. I sat down while the first stars were sparkling above our heads. A small fire with golden flames crackled, brought me light and warmth. 

Hours had passed already, a night conversation. unanswered. one sided. 

Suddenly a noise interrupted the silence. I looked around but couldn't see anything. Foot steps, heavy, close. My hand reached for my pistol. My Heart frequency going faster but I kept my calm. 

"It's been a while..." a familiar, calm but also with danger filled voice said.

"You are the last one I expected to be around here..." I answered. 

The silhouette coming closer.

"I could say the same actually but that is not necessary..." he sighed.

I was slightly confused, slowly putting away the weapon. I sat down again, my eyes not leaving him.

"You have grown Vulpes..." I said, my shoulders relaxing.

"And you are still alive Graham." he answered, his eyes resting on the fire.

"Joshua..." I mumbled. Vulpes looked up, even though his expression didn't change, I could tell he was confused. 

"Call me by my first name, we are not in Legion territory nor am I your trainer or something like that."

Vulpes sighed again, normally he would start to discuss but he seemed to be too tired for that. For sure he knew that he betrayed the Legion in this moment, sitting here instead of trying to end my life. His eyes wandered to, the in flowers and plants buried corpse. His expression soft, full of regret and sadness.

"They killed her with no mercy and I watched, did nothing but watched..." he suddenly said. His voice sore and quietly. That the legion took her life didn't surprise me nor did the fact that he was there and watched but what left me a little bit speechless was his compassion, unusual for the leader of the frumentarii.

"Not even the lord himself did anything against this sin. That must mean destiny wished to let it happen." was my response. Vulpes didn't say anything, he just looked at her and then back to the fire. A sigh left him, deep from his chest to get rid of the heavy feeling that was probably creeping inside him.

Emotions are an unhold power, stronger than any weapon, sharper than any blade, deeper than the sea.

"Who did that?..." Vulpes interrupted the silence, fire crackling after he spoke as he pointed at the corpse buried in flowers and plants.

"Follows-Chalk..." I answered my eyes wandering, looking at the Broc-Flower I gave her.                  "He is good in bringing the beauty out of the cruelty, always sees the best in the worst." my voice low, calm. The young man looked back at me, not saying anything.

"Don't be mad at him, Follows-Chalk wanted to honor her. The courier helped many people, saved souls... They didn't had to beg or ask... So I think it's the right way to guide her way to heaven with flowers."

Vulpes nodded.             

"At least someone did..." he whispered, thinking I didn't hear him. 

He stood up, a small cloud of dust and dirt dancing on the ground, following his steps as he walked over to the casket made of an ocean of different colors. I watched him how he interacted with the courier. Compared to when we met, Vulpes was way more gentle. He whispered something, wind stroking his hair and clothes, then he turned around, facing me.

"I should go for now. I hope you don't mind, seeing me around here sometimes..." 

"Feel free to come here as often as you wish to."

"Thank you... Joshua..." 

Then he disappeared in the darkness, not coming back for the next days...