My so called diary

[Trigger warning: death, grave, sadness, emotions, goodbyes]

-Joshuas pov-

"Joshua?!" someone yelled in the early morning. I looked up from my desk just realizing that it was Follows-Chalk in a hurry.

"Slow down friend, what happened?" I asked, usually he would be at the 'Casket river'. A beautiful name for such a sad place but at least we found a way to avoid saying 'I will go, visit the couriers grave'. 

"I found something!" he said excited, holding an old book in his hands. "It was near the cliff, next to some other objects that were probably hers!" he continued. I could tell that he was some kind of happy to hold something in his hands that was a part of the couriers life. As i took a closer look, I could tell that this book was familiar to me. 

"I didn't open it but the cover says something like J-O-U-R-N-A-L" Follows-Chalk spelled carefully.

"Yes, Journal..." I mumbled, my eyes still on the book, some pages curled and yellow, were sticking out, a few pictures won't let the paper really settle down.

"It's her diary Chalk... I have seen it a few times, everything she experienced, saw, met, felt and thought is written down there" a sigh left my lips. It felt so wrong to hold something like that in our hands. As I turned it around, a note, that was sticking out of the top, catched my eye.

"Your name is on it!" Follows-Chalk said, he was excited and curious about what it could mean. I was left in confusion, my fingers slowly reaching for the note, holding it before my left hand moved so I could open the page. Dirt and dust covered the wavy yellow paper, letters with dark blue written on it. Her handwriting, slight curvy, gave me the feeling of reading an old document. My heart was beating faster, questions coming up my mind.

Why would she leave a note for me? Why didn't the courier gave it to me?

I sighed, my eyes still resting on the letters while my mind refused to read nor allowed to speak.

"What does it say?" Follows-Chalk asked, trying to take a look  but I was holding the book to high.

"Pardon me... I will read it out" I answered, trying to get rid of all those questions and thoughts.

"Uh-hu, I will listen" he replied, sitting down like a child that was waiting for a bed time story.

"Dear Joshua, Chalk...

you will probably read this when I'm back in Primm to visit Ed-E. I'm sure you remember him, since I talked quite a lot about my adorable robotic friend.

I honestly have no idea where to go or what to do next so be ready for my next visit soon. Maybe I will make a quick stop at the Kings to visit Nikkades. I don't know.

But right now as I am writing this, the campfire next to me crackles lovely and the stars are watching over me. It reminds me of our late night talks or you reading the scripts. I already miss doing that even though it's not that long ago. I really hope you, Chalk and the others are doing well.

Anyway, you always wanted to know about my day, so I decided to tell you a bit about it: I walked quite far today and met a few people from a caravan. They were so nice and welcomed me to stay in their group over night.

Soon I will be out of the Canyon and Primm won't be that far anymore. Yay!

Then I will definitely send you this letter. For now, I'll continue writing it, so that i can tell you guys how my journey went.

But after all... I just wanted to say Thank you! Thank you so much for everything, I had such a lovely time and felt safe after so long. No matter where I go, you all have a special place in my heart and please remember:

Hope never dies

                                                                                                                                              - in love, The Courier "