Onze

(Warning, torture. Its kind of graphic, but also kind of not. I don't do much. Mentioned blood, talks about death, and demons. Obviously. Their words are in bold, so skip over it if you wish.)

Tomioka thought pain was funny.

It hurt, yeah, but at the same time it didn't.

Pain helped him.

It helped him focus on so many things.

Without pain Tomioka would never be where he was.

At the same time, Tomioka would never be where he was.

He loved being a demon slayer.

Protecting people.

He didn't like demons hurting people.

Even himself.

If it weren't for pain, he wouldn't have met Shinobu and Sanemi and Tanjiro.

If it weren't for pain, he wouldn't be hung up by his wrists and getting tortured.

Tomioka didn't understand it.

Did demons just decide to hurt humans?

Is it for fun?

Or is it because other demons do it as well.

They need to eat.

Tomioka gets that.

But did they have to play with their food?

Why do they have to hurt so many people?

Nezuko is a demon but she is the sweetest person Tomioka knows.

So why do all other demons inflict so much pain on others.

"Anything that truly lives, will hurt others at one point. It is the purpose of a living creature. But just because others inflict pain onto you and you will inflict pain onto others, does not mean it is intentional. It does not make you any less human."

"But what if the ones doing it aren't human? What if the demons are the ones we hurt, Sabito?"

"Well, if we hurt demons, it just proves that we are living creatures. Protecting our homes, lives, families. Demons hurt us because they wish to live."

"But why? The demon who killed my sister toyed with her. I still hear her screams..."

"I can't tell you the mind of a demon. I can't tell you the mind of anyone but my own. Living creatures are monsters. All of us, whether humans or demons or something else."

"But doesn't that make us evil?"

"Nope."

"Huh?"

"Not all monsters, do monstrous things."

"That doesn't make sense."

"You'll understand when you're older."

"I don't wanna understand when I'm older. I wan't to know now!"

"Too bad. That's not how life works."

"Sabito, how do you know how life works? You're not that much older than me."

"Hmm, true. But age doesn't define how much somebody knows. What they see defines it."