8. little birdie

Sunoo sighed as he put three of his textbooks in his locker, fiddling with the lock afterwards. He was the only one in the school hallway on a Sunday, and he had to admit that he enjoyed the serenity of the absence of noisy, hormonal teenagers. Every sound he made with every movement echoed vastly throughout the large corridor.

Just then, he heard footsteps to his left.

He turned to see Niki (yes, the Niki) walking towards him.

Towards him?

He looked around, to conclude that the tall blonde was indeed walking towards him.

Cheeks flushed, the younger one spoke up, "Hey, are you Kim Sunoo?"

Sunoo could do nothing more than nod, lost for words.

"I'm Niki, you probably know me by now," he chuckled, twirling the hair that fell over the nape of his neck.

"Yes. Yeah, I definitely know you," Sunoo giggled.

"So, why are you in school on a Sunday?" Niki asked, putting his hands in his pockets. He wore tight black jeans with a beige high-necked top. Very stylish.

"Oh, I— well I just got my books from the storeroom? So I was putting them in my locker." pause. "What about you? Why are you here?"

"Well, for you, of course."

"M-me?" Sunoo asked, in a state of... gay panic? He received a casual nod from the other; a nod that hid a lot of affection inside.

"Mhm, you got any plans?"

Smooth.

"Uh, no not really. Wanna hang out?"

"Yes," the blonde replied, lips curling into a shy smirk.

Soon, the duo found themselves sitting on a stone bench under a tree, talking. The conversation was a little strained, but they clicked soon enough.

"So, what are you into?" Like he didn't know already—

"Dance," Niki chuckled, then added: "guys."

"Smooth," Sunoo grinned.

It was evident that Niki had sort of asked Sunoo out on a date and that they were bonding. Both were comfortable with the atmosphere and liked it very much.

"How did you know I liked you?" Sunoo asked finally, slightly hiding his face in his hands.

"A little birdie told me," Niki cooed, teasing the older.

"Seriously though, who told you?"

"A classmate of yours."

"Who?"

"Now that remains a secret," Niki smiled, and Sunoo felt butterflies in his stomach.

"And then how did you find out about me?"

"Again, a little birdie helped me... stalk you? No, I didn't stalk, I just paid attention to you from afar. In a very un-gay way. Make sense?" This made Sunoo give out a very melodious giggle, which of course, was bliss to Niki's ears.

As time passed, they continued to get lost in this sort of adorable, easygoing chatter, with Niki making a lot of jokes. Trying not to make it noticeable, they moved closer to each other acting as if they were just shifting around in their places. But two people who were at least two feet apart from each other now sat dangerously close; inches separating them, hands quite close to brushing.

Sunoo liked that Niki eased the mood, whereas he would've been quite reserved in the beginning. It was carefree, the way they chatted, not caring about anything, just getting lost in each other's words; and sometimes each other's eyes.

--

--

Short bonus just because I felt like it!