10. ice

It's not like everything fixed itself that night.

Junsoo and Sunghoon had their little spat to sort out.

The next morning, Sunghoon was woken up by an alarm ringing softly on his phone to not wake up Jake. 5:30 AM; a great time to start a stressful day. The air was cold and the sky still dark before the coming dawn.

Rising from his bed lazily, Sunghoon searched for his black trousers and his light pink satin top in the illumination of his phone's flashlight. As the beams traced over what the raven was looking for, he lifted them off the hanger precariously and made his way to the bathroom, switching off the flashlight.

"You can do this," he muttered, gaze fixed on his reflection in the stained bathroom mirror. In front of him was an ordinary boy. Dishevelled morning hair, puffy eyes, and just a plain teenage boy, nothing special about him. Then he leant close, really close to the mirror, and looked into his iris. That's where he saw the special. The many colours that people with monochromatic blindness have in their eyes are the only specific colours that they can see. That was the special his brother always told him off. Recalling the memory of his brother saying "everyone has something special in them. You've just got to look hard enough", Sunghoon heaved an immense sigh of anxiety.

He was going to be the youngest person on the rink that day, and he wasn't ready. He felt like the world was putting pressure on him and would come at him if he made one mistake in the routine.

He washed his face with cold water, letting the liquid drip down his neck and wet his white night-shirt. It was still too early in the morning for Sunghoon's brain to function properly, and he changed into his trousers and top there in the bathroom, a blank expression plastered on his face.

By the time he was ready, it was 6 AM, and he needed to be at the locker room quickly.

"Sunghoon!" Jungkook croaked in his morning voice, greeting the younger with open arms.

"God damn it I'm so sleepy," Sunghoon laughed as he fit into Jungkook's embrace. He loved getting attention from his older teammates.

"Hi Sunghoon," Yeonjun mumbled. He was sitting on the floor at the edge of the locker room. He hadn't even finished changing his clothes, but he looked too sleepy to care.

"Good morning, Yeonjun. It's 6, you shouldn't be sleepy anymore." Earning a grumble from the half-dressed senior, Sunghoon pulled away from Jungkook, laughed and asked: "Where's Jimin?"

"Taehyung's coming with him. They'll be here in a few minutes. Didn't you check the group chat?"

"Oh, no I didn't. Isn't the competition at eight, though? Why are we getting ready already?"

"Because practise makes perfect, young child," a third voice called from behind Sunghoon.

"Good morning, Jimin and Taehyung," Sunghoon and Jungkook chorused. Jimin sat down on a bench while Taehyung moved forward and pecked Jungkook on the lips.

"Ew PDA—" the other three mocked while covering their eyes with their hands. The couple each gave shy giggles before also sitting down.

"What's up, Ice Prince?" Taehyung asked in his usual deep voice, brushing his silver hair out of his eyes.

"How do you know that nickname?" Sunghoon stuttered, a little taken aback. "But I'm fine,"

"You're famous, Hoonie," Yeonjun joked as he stood in front of the mirror tying his pink hair back with a rubber band.