15. library date

People say that time flies when you're having fun, and it couldn't be more true of your time in a boarding school. The middle of the first semester was approaching, and love had blossomed between the couples in the group.

Assignments naturally got harder and so sometimes the students would go to the library in groups to study. It just happened that Mrs Choi had given Jake, Sunghoon and Jay's class a harder assignment this week, so the three decided to meet at the school library for a study session.

"Are you guys free after school?" Jungwon asked, appearing behind Jay.

"The three of us are going to study later. Sorry, Wonnie," Jake said, an apology painted on his face.

"Jay come on don't disturb their date," the youngest teased, eyeing Sunghoon and Jake slyly.

"It's not a date, good lord. It's studying," Sunghoon rolled his eyes, making a playful fist at Jungwon.

"Sure sure. We'll catch up in the evening!" Jungwon said as he slipped a chit of paper into Jay's hand secretly and skipped away to join the others.

---

The three had taken a seat in front of the big library window so that they had a backlit study space. The three sat in a triangle: Jake and Sunghoon on one side of the table and Jay on the other.

"So x squared will be?" Jake asked in a whisper, ending his complicated math explanation that nobody seemed to understand. He pointed to the sum on the paper, tapping it with his fingers. Looking up, he saw a very bored Sunghoon who was sliding his fingers on his notebook, completely uninterested in what Jake had to say. Jay on the other hand was very antsy, looking anxiously out the window now and then.

"...were you guys listening?"

"Sorry man, you lost me at 'x'," Sunghoon joked, rubbing Jake's thigh. "I'm kidding. But really, I couldn't follow through after a point."

Jake sighed, looking at Jay who stuttered, "I w-was listening, I just need to... go to the bathroom real quick." And with that, he walked away from the table.

"I try to help y'all in Maths but you guys just—" Jake feigned an offended look at Sunghoon who let out a snort, causing them to get a death stare from the librarian.

"I'm bored of this stupid assignment anyway," Sunghoon said, gently flipping his book shut. He turned to Jake, shifting his chair dangerously close to him.

"...what are you doing, Hoon?" Jake breathed. "There are people all around."

"What do you think I'm going to do?" Sunghoon asked, smirking and brushing his fingers against Jake's arm.

"Sunghoon, stop, please," Jake loud-whispered as he panicked, turning away from Sunghoon. The latter did this often; random moments to make Jake "gay panic".

"Sorry, sorry, I was just kidding. Come back here," Sunghoon whined softly, pulling Jake back. Sunghoon's hold was never harsh. Always gentle and careful, but also relaxed, like he knew what he was doing. Sunghoon interlocked their fingers, stroking the back of Jake's hand with his thumb. They didn't consider themselves boyfriends, but they sure did act like a couple. To them, it was still "friends who have kissed a couple of times and like each other".

"This is better than assignments, hm?"

"It may be better and all that, but Math is due this weekend, so we'll have to study," Jake whispered, slowly untangling their hands as he spoke.

"Whatever—"

"Yeah we're going to pretend like we never saw that," came a familiar voice from behind them. The duo's heads shot back to see the entire gang: Heeseung, Jay, Jungwon, Sunoo and Niki, staring at them teasingly.

Jake gave the raven a look that said 'why do we always get stuck in this situation?'

"Hi... guys! You saw nothing, right?" Sunghoon murmured, scratching the back of his neck uneasily.

"Yeah, tooootally," the youngest laughed, slapping Jake on the back. The librarian ahead shot them a terrifying look and hissed, "Shhhh!" Niki bowed an apology and turned back to the group.

"Sunghoon, you should just ask him out," Sunoo whispered, totally unbothered in any attempt to euphemize his words. Both Sunghoon and Jake turned embarrassing shades of red, looking away awkwardly.

"Someone has to teach this one to be a little less plain," Niki sighed, looking helplessly at his boyfriend. "Anyways, enough studying and being all lovey-dovey. We have some time to spend."

"How is it that nobody else gets teased even though you all are dating and we aren't?" Jake sighed, rubbing his forehead.

"Sometimes, that's just how life works," the eldest grinned. "Get up now."

---

If we're being completely honest here, Sunghoon did think along the lines of what Sunoo said. He flipped out his phone at the dorm, and typed a quick message to his sister, Yeji, asking for a favour. Smiling contentedly, he switched off his phone and turned to watch Jake, who was still doing the assignment from the evening. Jake's lush brown hair fell over his eyes, adding a dainty touch to finish off his look. A black t-shirt, gentle strokes with his pen on the paper, and a slight, evergreen smile on his lips. Anyone could tell there was love in Sunghoon's eyes. Anyone could see his feelings for the Aussie painted on his face, worn on his sleeves. Anyone but Jake. Jake knew, sure. But never enforced it. Again, being honest, it irritated and also hurt Sunghoon in a very ambivalent way. He'd do anything to change the way things were right now.

And sure enough, a master plan did hatch in his head.

---

okAy so I have to finish this book before July as I'm going back to irl boarding school, so don't @ me if the rest of the chaps are a little rushed, I'm sorry. We're nearing the end of this book! By near I mean there's like, 5 or 6 chapters left, haha. I'm so thankful to everyone who's stuck around, though. 

Alright, see you soon!