Chapter 7

They turned their heads into a forwards position and saw the two glowing beads of light almost right in front of their faces. There had to have been less than 5 feet between them and the creature.
     "D-don't move" Malachi whispered.
     They all stood still trying to keep their emotions inside so that they won't attract the creature closer to them. It was pitch black. All they could see were the dots illuminated in the shadows. Their fingers were still intertwined with each other's in fear of letting go.
     "What do we do now?" Vanessa questioned quietly.
     "I don't know. Maybe we should sit down in a tight ball to make ourselves smaller." Irene suggested.
     "Let's do that please. Irene is the smart one so I think we should listen to her" Serena replied from the opposite end of the teenager chain.
     The five of them sat on the cold ground with their knees up to their chest. While they were still holding hands, they moved inwards towards the person beside them. They soon fell asleep. Some had their head resting on the next person's shoulder, others with their forehead facing down on their knees.
     Hours went by and it was finally morning. There was finally light revealing the entire forest. They had never been to happy to be under the powerful rays from the sun. Their clothes were covered in wet mud, grass stains, and what appeared to be water.
     "That was the worst night of my life" Uriah mentioned.
     "I could easily agree. Ive never been so scared" Serena replied.
     "So what's our plan now? We're in the middle of the woods and we've lost two of our members" Malachi reminded them.
     "This time we stick together. We're going to call Charlie and Tatum's names and hopefully they'll answer" Vanessa shrugged.
     They took turns alternating between yelling 'Charlie' and 'Tatum'. After about half an hour their throats started getting sore and their voices turned raspy.
     "I don't think I can yell anymore. I need water. I'm so thirsty" Serena complained.
     "I say we head back to the cabin, get some water and retrace our steps" suggested Irene.
     "Ok...but which way will lead us back?" Uriah said worriedly.
     "I think it's this way" Vanessa said pointing to their left.
     They started walking back the way they thought they came from, trying not to waste any of the energy they had left. As they continued, they saw a leg sprawled out from the front side of a wide tree.
     "I-is that a body?" Vanessa questioned.
     "It looks like a leg?" Irene said in confusion.
     They approached the tree slowly and peaked around to the front.
     "CHARLIE?" Vanessa screamed with tears filling her eyes.