lack-luster

so far, bao had been working about two weeks at their new job; today they would receive their first check. luckily, their landlord hasn't bothered them too much about the late rent, listening to bao's explanation and giving them the extra time to pay.

at around noon, bao set out, wanting to quickly get their check and head home. but of course, that couldn't happen.

"hey, mai!" a familiar voice yelled as bao heard pattering feet run towards them.

as they turned, they saw hawks running at them with a huge smile on his face, soon engulfing bao in a huge hug. his arms wrapped around their waist, face buried in their chest as he swayed side to side, his feathers rustling.

"hey hey birdbrain, give me a damn second," bao said, patting his head as they didn't know where to put their hands.

"sorry, just kinda missed you," hawks mumbled into their shirt.

bao didn't know what to say. keigo missed them? he missed their company? they didn't expect that. maybe a 'nice to see you,' or, 'have a good day, mai!' but not 'i missed you.'. it weirdly felt good to be missed; as bao had also missed keigo. maybe they felt as though the missing of each other was one sided, and they were relieved when it wasn't.

before they could respond, hawks pulled back with his hands moving to hold bao's shoulders. he sent out a few feathers, ruffling bao's hair as they groaned in annoyance and tapped the tip of their nose, returning to his wings as soon as they were sent out.

"so, where you off to?" he questioned.

"im stopping by thirty-second to collect my first paycheck," bao smiled lightly, proud of themself that they had made it this far. they were slightly happy they hadnt met concrete a month and a half ago.

"oh, great! ill join you, everything's been calm so i cant take a bit of a break. plus, i could really use it to be honest," he mumbled the last part, jokingly looking around as though someone was listening in. he leaned back, hands in his pockets as bao nodded and started walking down the block.

"so, you're on patrol?" bao made light conversation, staring ahead at the sidewalk as they continued.

"yup! its nice patrolling by your place, i get a glimpse of someone wonderful when i do," he smirked, jokingly flirting with his friend as he nudged bao's shoulder.

"oh shut up," bao said.

"oh dont act like you arent excited to see me. im a joy to be around, ya wouldnt have let me walk with you if i wasn't," he said, a smug grin worn on his face that stretched wider when bao didn't object.

instead, the two walked comfortably beside the other on their way to bao's new workplace. it was odd having a job again, having responsibilities where people rely on you to pay attention. it was stressful at times, but luckily their fellow employees were kind and welcoming, seemingly running a nice, homely environment. it seemed that new customers often returned. bao even met a customer, seeming in his late 70s, who had apparently been stopping by every saturday for the past 13 years. people liked the place, kind people.

it was also apparently a good spot for pro-heros to stop by. since the barbeque spot was small and unnoticeable from afar, paparazzi never really stopped by, making the small restaurant a good spot for popular hero's to catch a break from publicity. bao learned this by overhearing her partners brag about meeting pro-heros such as kamui woods, eraserhead, midnight, and edgeshot.

"hey, you good, mai?" bao heard hawks call out. apparently they had been spacing out, their mind wandering to the new information they had taken in quickly, rather than the walk they were currently on.