WINNERS: Influencer

The first round of winners is in, and while it took less time to complete than most of the others will, we spent a long time deliberating, discussing, and debating over each of them, before retreating to our private caves and casting our votes. Five judges scored each book on the same criteria, evaluating the book title, the cover, the blurb, and a wildcard.

The judges included a professional writer, a book publisher, a professional artist, a teenage bookworm, and a *random goob. Their scores were averaged, resulting in a final score out of a possible 100, reflecting the book title, the cover, the blurb, and a reel.

The reel score was based on the interior, whether it was a compelling first page, illustrations, aesthetics, playlists, or anything else that might possibly convince a reader to commit themselves to the story once they've opened the cover.

*Note: the random goob is a technically a marketing agent, but they owe me money so I'm not obligated to be nice.

The entries and a brief summary of the discussion are outlined below. Bear in mind that the comments are not necessarilly related to the scores. We're focusing on positive feedback because we don't want to plant anything that may be taken as a criticism in the minds of potential readers.

Congratulations to everyone! Once again this was difficult to judge, with less than a 10 point spread between all entries. We'll DM each of you a link within the next week where you can download your stickers. All will recieve a FINALIST badge, and the 1st Runner Up and the Winner will recieve specialty badges. If any of you would like your numeric scores and a walkthrough of the categories, DM this account and I'll do my best to answer.

Tinsel Tears

emmaeverafter

There is a marketing mind behind these book covers, or at least someone who has lived in books so long that cover composition is a second language. Though we're scoring specifically for Tinsel Tears, it's worth mentioning that the author has branded herself well in all her books, and has expertly chosen evocative images to draw new readers, and fans of her other work, inside.

Perception
LynaForge

I (the one responsible for typing this) was instantly drawn to the book cover for Perception. It looks real, if you catch my meaning; I can almost feel the book jacket in my hands and smell the pages. The chapter headings continue the theme throughout, and by choosing a common motif for chapter names, the author creates a circle of comfort and familiarity for the reader, which conspires with a recognizeable theme to give you the literary equivalent of a snug comforter and a warm fireplace on a cold evening.

Between the Redwoods
Sydneycl2050

I could spend paragraphs deconstructing this cover and the accompanying blurb and title. Everything about this feels like it belongs, and despite the minimalist monochrome graphics, you can infer quite a bit about the tone and feel of the story. This resonated with a few of us because when you're in the mood for a specific kind of book and casually browsing the shelves (in my mind, I'm at the airport) this is the kind of thing that will grab you immediately. I've purchased books that I've regretted because of this (no shade on the author - this is exactly what this category is for).

1st RUNNER UPThe Chronicles of Soraya Thenayu: Darkwood AcademyChristinaSilva9

1st RUNNER UP
The Chronicles of Soraya Thenayu: Darkwood Academy
ChristinaSilva9

Everyone loved the stylized illustrations and well-considered layout of this book cover, and we were even more impressed that all of the illustrations are the work of the author. They give the book a unique feel and put everything on-brand, triggering warm memories of Little Nemo and Studio Ghibli. The included fan art is endearing, and interior illustrations continue to add to the charm throughout.

WINNERThe Dreamweaver's Daughterlaurelandlarkspur

WINNER
The Dreamweaver's Daughter

laurelandlarkspur

I had to recuse myself from judging the content of this book. Having read (much of) and enjoyed Oleander, I didn't want to bring any bias into the competition. I was, however, able to take part in the Influencer category, and I'm glad I did. The conversation was lively, hovering on the "bohemian minimalist" vibe (not my choice of words), citing favorable comparisons with April Tucholke (Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Wink Poppy Midnight) among others. Long before that first click, you know you'll be entering a world of magic, wonder, and fairies--and the blurb effortlessly carries you the rest of the way.