9

Prem decided he was going to make some fish and chips for lunch. He wasn't much of a good cook, his mother would always say "You better stay out of the kitchen before you burn something. And find yourself a good wife to cook for you" but living alone for the past few years now he learnt that it wasn't actually that hard to turn on the stove and fix himself a good meal, it was fairly cheaper too then going out and eat. Even much cheaper that buying cold sandwiches from Seven-Eleven. And having Perth around was like watching Food Network sometimes.

He opted to cook for himself by learning from Perth and now he can cook basic meals like pasta and grilled sandwiches - of course, leaving all the complicated ones to his housemate because heck, why waste such a good cook around?

The fish was battered and the chips were taken out of the bag from the freezer. As he heated the oil on the pan he stretched his neck a bit to check up on the young boy that was currently staying with them. Son was sitting by the window pane just staring out, probably watching all those people walking about on the street - it amazed him, and he amazed Prem. Early he was watching the kid's channel Prem had him watch just so he wouldn't hurt himself anywhere and how a single dog's bark sent him right next to the window, lurking his eyes out for that source of sound.

"Never heard a dog before?" Prem asked, chuckling, obviously unprepared for the answer.

"The ones that I usually hear were the ones in pain" was Son's reply. Prem had no retort to that, Perth's words about Son not being normal if only Prem just spend a day with him rang in his head like the lad was actually there. Probably  was right - it was at the back of his mind, that possibility of what Perth said, but logic beat him otherwise. Perth was bored with his life and Son was a chance for an adventure to him; that was how Prem tried convincing himself.

After carefully placing the fish onto the cooking oil, he felt the sudden urge to relieve his bladder, so he went into the bathroom to finish his business only to return to the kitchen seeing Son had his hand extended out ready to touch the pan.

"Son, don't touch that!" he half screamed and the younger boy jumped slightly, retracting his hand away. Prem sighed, relieved that he need not have to deal with a burnt hand or a lot more crying because he never knew how to handle those people. He once ran away when his ex-boyfriend starter crying on him because fuck he thought staying there would make things worst.

Son looked at Prem with doe eyes, eyebrows furrowing "It was making weird noises and its warm-"

"It's not warm, Son" Prem pulled Saint's arm gently, away from the frying fish, afraid that some of the oil might pop and reach Son's already severely bruised skin " It's hot, it might burn your skin."

Saint's face contorted, he pulled his hand away from Prem and started shaking his head frantically while backing away "I don't want to burn! It hurts! Please don't burn me, please!"

Sensing that something was definitely wrong, Prem tried his best to alter the way he sounded because if he sounded like he was scolding the little brunette earlier, he wasn't now "I'm not going to burn you Son, I'm not going to hurt you, I just- I just wanted you to be careful around these things because they might hurt you, alright?"

"I don't understand" Son suddenly said in a voice so small, Prem had to strain his ear to hear. It was better now that he wasn't shaking or scared of Prem.

"What is it that you don't understand?"

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why won't you hurt me? Why won't you and Perth hu-hurt me like they did?"

The reality hit him at that moment - he knew it from the start but hearing how broken Son's voice was and how he was genuinely terrified that Prem might hurt him or confused why Prem and Perth didn't hurt him; it was like complete proof that the boy standing before him had gone through abuse before Perth had found him. There was this sick feeling in his stomach and rage as heat swept through every part of his body thinking that someone would hurt a child that was so defense less, small and fragile.