4

- heading home.

What do I do, what do I do.

Kneeling on the floor, I tried to manage my worries on the bicycle in front of me as I prepare it for transportation on the way back home, but that's utterly impossible knowing that I'd have to leave my book in its misery.

I redirected my gaze to the confiscated book resting on top of another on the shelf on my right, staring at it helplessly. I knew I could get it back tomorrow but the thought of leaving it there made me feel uneasy. What if someone takes it? Or breaks it, even.

But I can't really blame anyone but myself. I should've just held onto my patience until I had finally arrived home and then read it. Who could blame me though? My book was certainly more interesting than Ms. Em babbling about whatever equilibrium was.

And was there really the need to humiliate me in front of everyone? She could've admonished me after class, but no-she just had to lecture the entire class (although it was obviously directed at me) on how her lesson was a greater impact on my future than some book.

But you know what? I don't really care.

I'm not leaving the book, final decision; no take backs. My mind simply cannot be at peace whenever I know that it isn't in my grasp nor at home.

Right, home. It's getting kind of late.

My eyes traced the walls and the furniture as I realized the familiarity of this place. Wasn't this already home? But I knew that despite where I stood was a physical representation of such, my conscience said otherwise. This wasn't home.

I scanned my surroundings once more, making sure no one had noticed my intentions. As I cautiously got a hold of the book, I slid the it in the basket and got ready to go.

"Wait-" an unfamiliar voice called out from behind me and as if I had felt a lightning strike shot through my back, I froze. I heaved a sigh and readied my defense as I promptly turned my head to a familiar boy approaching me, propelling a bike on his side. Noah wore his casual grey hoodie and some sweatpants, his brunette hair floofy as usual.

"Hey Noah, I'm taking the damn book. It's mine if you hadn't already noticed so if you're going to..." I stopped in the middle of my speech and frowned at his attempt to cover a smile.

"What's so funny?"

"You really like that book, huh?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"It's the only one you read," he leaned onto the fencing of stairs on his left. As much as a nuisance Noah seemed to be, I've always had eyes for him. Well, two years ago that is. Long before having classes in the same room as him. But being inches away from him now, I couldn't help but relive the obsessive appreciation of his awfully perfect face. We've been in the same class since last year and I eventually lost feelings after I couldn't quite figure out how to confess. The crush thing lasted for couple months and now, he's just like every guy I know.

"Sorry um, I just came by to ask what model is your bike is. Looks pretty cool," he cocked his head reluctantly, trying to seem genuinely curious about this deteriorating thing.

"Oh, my grandma got me this ages ago. I don't think it's the one you're looking for,"

I notice him shrug and rub the back of his neck. I raised my brows and snort-laughed as I patted him on the shoulder. "A for effort though," I teased.