You're Late

Google tapped his foot on the ground. Chase was late. Chase was normally late, that was just his style but it had been this late.

Google looked around the coffee shop again. A high school couple near the window. The boy was happy with her but the girl was cheating. Near them a college student with an excessive amount of coffee in front of her. She sat across from another girl who seemed to be lost in her own thoughts. The door to the cafe opened and Chase walked in. He quickly walked over and sat down at Google's table, smiling at the other man.

"Where were you?" Google asked.

Chase chuckled. "Hello to you too."

"Where were you?" Google asked again.

"Dude I'm sorry. Anti and Henrik got into an argument and I had to play peacekeeper."

Google shook his head. "I'm sorry Chase. I was just," he frowned, "worried."

"Why?"

"I care for you, Chase. I would not wish for you to get hurt." Google whispered.

"Oh," Chase breathed out.

Google looked away. "What were your brothers arguing about?"

Chase sighed and"Well Anti got involved in some of JJs business. We knew but then JJ found out and got upset. Henrik didn't like that so he yelled at him. JJ got upset again and made me play peacekeeper."

"What did Anti do?"

"Doesn't matter," Chase said, waving Google off.

Google raised an eyebrow. "Chase."

"Google," Chase replied.

"Mo chara."

Chase blushed. "That's cheating."

"It's just Irish."

"That's still cheating. You learned the language for me. It's nice." Chase whispered.

Google shook his head. "I did not learn it. I learned phrases. I would be helpless if you started to speak it."

Chase laughed. "It's still nice."

Google smiled. "I ordered for you but I believe it's cold now."

Chase scrunched up his face. "Cold tea is gross."

"I agree."

"And don't mention iced tea. It's the worst." Chase said.

Google nodded. "You seem very passionate about teas."

"I like them. And the tea bags are fun to throw. Me and my kids used to set up these obstacle courses and throw tea bags in them while running past. It was," he froze, "hilarious."

"You've never talked about your children before."

"I just. I. I miss them. Their mother just took them away from me. We had a plan. I saw them every other weekend and some holidays. But then she took off. The police tried to find her but she covered her tracks."

"I could help," Google said.

Chase sighed. "Google the police couldn't find her."

Google winked. "I have my ways."

Chase snorted. "Why are you so nice to me?"

"You're so very human."

Chase blinked. "What does that mean?"

Google looked away. "I have never been in touch with emotions. My parents wanted me to do great things. They worked me to the bone. I was memorizing Shakespeare and programming worlds in fifth grade. I didn't have friends. I didn't see the need to i just wanted to make them proud. Then when I turned eighteen they kicked me out. My brother was even better than me. I was inferior. Like a machine."

Google turned to stare at Chase when he felt his hand over his own. "You're so human and you care so deeply for others. You care. It's new to me."

Chase laughed. "I care for you as well."

Google blinked rapidly. "I would highly advise you to reconsider."

"Google, you said it yourself. I'm your friend."

Google nodded. "I know that."

"Google your my friend," Chase whispered.

"Oh."

Chase laughed. "You didn't know that?"

"W-well I assumed it, it was not mutual." Google stuttered.

"Google yer a great guy," Chase exclaimed, grinning at his friend.

"I am?"

"Totally."

Google laughed and Chase froze. Google shook his head trying to control himself. "What's wrong?"

"I've just never heard you laugh."

Google shrugged. "It's been a while."

Chase seemed to be lost in thought. "Chase?"

"I'm fine. I should probably go. Didn't leave the home in the best state."

"Do you need me to walk you home?"

Chase shook his head. "I'll be fine."

"I can-"

"Google thanks you so much for offering but I can do it. I'm going to call a taxi." Chase said, patting Google on the shoulder.

Google moved to stand up. "Taxis have-"

Chase pushed him back into his seat. "Don't need to hear the statistics."

"But they are usually true." Google pointed out.

Chase snorted. "Usually?"

"Well." Google paused. "Next Saturday?"

"Of course."