V. Monsters in your head

Chapter V Monsters in your head

Checklists are useful as many say. For me though, they are very useful. It was organized, extremely helpful for the minor OCD’s we all have and it gives at least a satisfaction that things are happening.

So, what if they are happening only on a piece of paper.

“A pair of shorts?”

“Check.”

“Few t-shirts?”

“Check.”

“And eatables?”

“Uncheck.”

“Why?”

Riya gave me one of her unnamed glares. “Because eatables are so not vague. The entire food court sums up in eatables.”

The fair points which my roommate makes, is to some extent a little praise worthy, but just a little though.

“I don't know what a four slash five-year old should eat?” Justifying my vagueness, I shrugged, as I handed the list back to her.

My eyes wandered from Riya’s soulful gaze on the list and then around the mart. After a lot of discussion with both Anirudh and Rohan (the latter making some really good points), we decided to do a bit shopping for the kid. I was totally against the matter but it seemed fair when Anirudh told me that the expenses would probably be reimbursed once the two weeks pass and it would not be too good for the kid to stay in the same set of clothes. Rohan who was keenly listening to all of us even added that he’d pay the cost of the kid’s supplies to which I was thankful for because my monthly expenses were already way past the limit.

However, Riya let her ego take the best of her and refused any kind of help from the former. So, we were back to square one and decided to split the expenses in half.

These two really had to sort their complications and at least keep me and my planned budget out of it.

It was strange to actually have the four of us be in a conversation, lest getting a definite result out of it. Riya who was still thinking and scrutinizing the list for some reason, made me loiter away from our shopping cart which was now full. With the intent of getting a new one, I moved away from the food court. However I halted at the book section, the shiny new books always garnering my attention.

The touch of the new printed pages, the smell of the yellow dusty books and the aura of being in a bookstore was enough to keep me calm and composed. My hand searched for my wallet as I hoped to find some bucks to at least pick a thriller book or a rom-com. Sure buying the book was unplanned, but hey, there is always enough money to buy books.

As I picked one of the Dan Brown’s next bestselling, a book titled ‘Language with hands’ caught my attention and I couldn't help but get a hold of it.