still healing

"Oi, Shou-kun," Hinata's arms were being gently poked. But there was no response. He continued gritting his teeth with clenched fists. A thick layer of sweat was covering his forehead, his shirt soaked. It was sending cold shivers down his spine.

"Shou-kun... Shouyo," his name was urgently called. There was worry laced in its tone.

The hands on him were now rougher, desperate for him to wake, "Hinata!"

Hinata's eyes finally flew open. He was panting heavily. He frantically tried to make out the dark shape towering next to his bed; the shadowed figure triggering his flight or fight mode.

Oh, it's Atsumu-San. I'm safe. I'm okay.

His adrenaline started to slowly settle when this realization hit.

"Ugh," he groaned, feeling disgusting in the sweat-ridden bed and shirt, "whadsgoin'on?"

He was mumbling, his mind still hazy from sleep.

"You were talking quite loudly in your sleep, sounding like you were in pain," Atsumu sounded relief now that he was awake, "I could hear you from my room and... I- I didn't know what was going on so I came over."

"Oh," Hinata couldn't quite meet his eyes, "sorry about that, I'm- " he took a deep breath, "good now," there was a pause as he racked his brain to find ways to ease the tension.

"What time is it?" He finally asked, bringing himself into a sitting position.

"Barely 5 in the morning," Atsumu replied softly. He realized that he was standing tensed beside his bed and decided to sit down, the bed creaking under his weight.

"Shouyo," he started hesitantly, "who's Kato? I've... never heard you say that name before. "

Hinata eyes widened for a fraction but it was gone as soon as it came, "no one important. He's just... yeah, not important anymore."

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

He shook his head once, "no," a soft smile was now shaping on his lips, "thank you. I'm really okay now, was just a nightmare."

And he was telling the truth. It's been 9 years, most of it spent in counseling and healing. Hinata was feeling stronger and much more in control than he ever did before. Of course, sometimes nightmares do creep in at night when the shadows suffocate him. But despite that, he was okay.

He knew that it'd take him a little while longer before the nightmares stop altogether.

Atsumu just studied his face for a few moments, before suddenly jumping up and stretching. Hinata just stared at him before Atsumu flashed him a warm smile.

"Let's get breakfast!"

"At 5 in the morning?" He laughed in response, "Are you crazy, you should rest."

"Naw," Atsumu rubbed his stomach, "I'm starving right now, if you ain't coming, I'll just go down to the dining hall... all alone. Feeling all lonely, while eating breakfast, I guess."

"The dining hall isn't even open yet," his eyes rolling.

"Don't be stupid, we're national athletes and this is our dorms. Of course it'd be open 24/7," he gave a small yawn, "and it's been 2 weeks since we moved in, how could you not remember going down at 4am to take away ramen because Bokkun insisted he was gonna die if we didn't help him out?"

Hinata smiled fondly at that memory, "you're right, how could I forget that?"

"Come on," Atsumu gently tugged him out of bed, "go change, let's head down in 10."