running nowhere

It was three days before the national team athletes would start their training, most of which had moved into the dorms. Somehow Kageyama was already exhausted from the few days he had moved in.

Apparently Hinata didn't know how to use his indoor voice.

In the early hours of a Friday morning, Kageyama was woken up by his loud laughter that echoed through the flat. A soft woops quickly followed. Atsumu immediately barked out a laughter at his reaction, before being muffled by most probably Hinata's hand.

"Why are you so loud," Hinata whispered aggressively.

"No, but it's literally you shouting though," he whispered back as aggressively.

And this whispering just went back and forth for the last few minutes as Kageyama scowled at the ceiling above. The glitters of the morning sun greeted him, but he did not feel like reciprocating its cheery welcome. He had his plush blanket covering most of his face as he tried to sleep back, but his frustration from his exhaustion just bubbled up in him. He sighed and pushed the covers off, deciding perhaps the cold air-conditioned room would help him air the frustration.

In truth, a part of him didn't mind being woken by his laughter; the happiness encapsulated in his eagerness and strength was so beautifully captured in that very burst of sound. He remembered when Hinata announced his decision to leave for Brazil after their final year in school. Kageyama was scared and even more than that, he was shocked by his innate desire to become better. A better player and human.

He knew that the incident haunted him even with his counseling. It was a lingering touch in anything he did: his spikes, his hugs, the way he carried himself.

How does someone so small dare to even delve into a world of the unknown?

It was truly admirable.

"Are you sure about this?" He once asked as he walked him home. That day was particularly hot and sweat was a never-ending stream down his face. They both had bought popsicles and was thoroughly enjoying the ice-cold contrast.

He nodded slowly in reply, "I need to do this. I just... don't think I can stay here and be reminded every time I wake up of what happened with all the familiar paths and scenery here... I might just go crazy," he paused to lick up the melting popsicle that threatened to dirty his entire hand and shirt.

"I wanted to- I don't know, just focus on volleyball, try and get better at both, you know, skills-wise and mentally. I feel like the sand, sun, beach would do me good. I..." he stopped walking and Kageyama immediately stalled with him, his eyes searching Hinata's face that was sticky from his popsicle, "do you think I'm being crazy? My mum says she'll support me no matter what, but I don't know if I'm thinking straight sometimes."

"I think you're thinking perfectly," Kageyama responded softly, gently setting their pace again, "I think... you're brave and I think you won't regret going."

They trudged on slowly under the blistering sun, "it may be hard at times, with being away from everyone- but, you will survive like you always do. You will find new yummy food, make new friends, start to love the feel of the beach and maybe you'll finally get better at receives."

Hinata's mouth was slightly agape, "Kageyama.... I never knew you could be that nice."

Kageyama's face darkened and Hinata knew he was one second away from being chased. An amused snort slipped out and that was the beginning of their back and forth. It was truly a hot day, and their breaths were a bunch of desperate gasps. They were running home but somehow they were also running nowhere. The unknown never had a definite destination. It was the thrill of risk and the pleasure of achievement.