CHAPTER 4

I had Biology after lunch. I walked in with a bunch of students quick on my heels.

I looked around the room looking for an empty seat and not finding much as most of the students were already seated or paired up. All but one.

I swallowed hard around the lump forming in my throat. There was a vampire in this class.

Not just any vampire though, it was the best one, the glorious one with the hair. And the only available seat was next to him.

My eyes widened as I contemplated. Surely this was not okay. I was supposed to observe from afar not from beside the vamps. And what would my reaction be to sitting beside one of them, to sitting beside him especially?

It was one thing to remain calm when passing them in the hall but I doubted my restraint at being this close.

I bit my lip in agitation.

I was staring at him and he was staring at me now having seen me deliberating in the doorway. I watched his lips part as he saw the panic stretch across my face.

Did he not honestly not know what I was?

The butterflies in my stomach felt like they were dancing. I closed my eyes. Why, if I had to share a class with one of them, did it have to be him?

I didn't like the emotions he invoked in me or that he made me feel anything at all. It was confusing being around him. And I didn't like it one bit.

"Miss Swan," the teacher said looking up from the mountain of paperwork his head was buried in. "You may take your seat." Damn.

My lips thinned but having no other option, I took my seat in the only available one.

I all but fell in my chair. I pretended to dig into my book bag to give me a moment to check myself and my reaction to being so close to him.

I could feel my breathing quicken but more out of stress than the need to shift. Hmm. I felt fine.

I could physically feel his stare as I took out a notebook and pencil. His cold skin almost hummed beside me. I knew he was listening to the racing of my heart and the deep breaths I was taking.

I straightened up and tried to shake out my tense muscles. I may not be on the verge of shifting but I couldn't relax either. Not with his penetrating stare or his sinful, sweet scent invading my senses.

I inhaled more. Sam always said the vampires smelled like poison, like rotten garbage. I didn't know what vampires he had been sniffing but the boy beside me was intoxicating and if not for me being so stock still, I would have leaned into him for more.

Thankfully Mr. Molina called the class to quiet down so he could begin the lesson.

"Ladies first." Said the boy beside me. His voice was calming. I blinked. Did they all have an almost melodic tone to their voice? It was hypnotizing.

Not able to resist any longer, I looked over at him. I was still tense from being so close to one of them, uncertain of what would happen and my shoulders were incredibly hunched from the mix of emotions bouncing around inside of me.

I did not feel comfortable in my own skin. But he just looked on with a softened expression.

"I'm Edward." He said. "And you're Bella." He stated.

Inside my body was practically vibrating from the sound of his voice. And knowing his name.

I tried to lessen the mood by making a joke hoping to dispel the rising anxiety between us. "I see you've heard of me."