Chapter 13

I was flushed in the bathroom as I examined my neck. The red lines from the vampires fingernails were faint now but I could see them.

I flinched. I still remembered behind my closed lids what they felt like as I was thrown through the air.

I had feeling I would never forget.

My ears picked up on the coffee maker in the kitchen being turned on.

I wasn't the only one that was up.

I shook my head.

I planned on going to school today and I knew my parents would not be thrilled.

I wasn't looking forward to the argument that was sure to ensue.

It was Friday, the last school day of the week.

School didn't appeal to me that much but I was willing to endure it if it meant getting out of the house.

I was desperate. I couldn't stay here and recuperate any longer or deal with my parents coddling me another second.

I was lucky to have them and to see their concern for me but it made me dwell on things that happened, things that could have happened.

I could have died and if I had to stay in my room any longer with nothing to do but to think about it, then I was literally going to throw myself through a wall just for something to do.

I took a deep breath and pulled my hair over my scratched neck. No need to stress my parents out anymore by letting them see it.

I peeked out my door. It was clear.

Whoever was up was in the kitchen.

I wrapped around the corner and saw my mom standing at the sink. Her hair was in a high bun on the top of her head.

She wasn't dressed for work. I internally sighed. I guess that meant she was going to stay home to watch over me again today.

This was going to be harder than I thought.

My dad's head raised from where he was reading the morning paper. He caught me skirting along the shadow of the wall.

His lips twitched into a smirk until they narrowed in on my wardrobe choice.

I wasn't donning my pajamas like them. I was fully dressed and ready for school.

My father's face tightened into a frown.

"Good morning." I whispered starling my mother who hadn't seen me come in yet.

I was really just trying to get a word out before my father started in on the lecture that was sure to come out of his mouth any second.

"Bella," My mom beamed before looking me over. Her mouth parted before hardening quick. "No." She demanded.

My shoulders stiffened. "No? I haven't even asked anything."

Her hands shook, she was so upset. Her voice sounded brittle as she said, "My eyes work just fine." She said gesturing to my clothes. "It's too soon. You're not ready yet."

My hands gripped the chair hard that I was standing behind. I could feel my temper flare and I bit my lip to get control over it.

"No mom, it's you who isn't ready for it. I have healed enough to get back out there. I have a job to do and people to protect. They can't afford for me to wait any longer."

"Bella," My father groaned who had been quiet up until this point. "I agree with your mother." Of course he did. "I thought we decided that you would stay home and on Monday we would talk about you returning to school then."

My mom nodded aggressively coming to stand beside where my father still rested at the table. "It's too soon. Too dangerous."

I could feel the wood groaning beneath my grasp on the chair. The odds weren't good that it was going to survive this conversation.

"There will always be danger. Keeping me locked here won't change that nor erase what happened. And don't forget that I wasn't attacked at the school. It happened here on the land you insist keeping me locked in." I mumbled.

My mother's face drained of color and the guilt soured in my stomach.

I let out a deep breath and loosened my grip off the chair for its own survival.

I walked closer to my parents and sat in the chair beside my dad so my mom was between us.

I took her hand in mine and I could feel the rawness of pain settling in my eyes as they stared into hers.

"I need to do something. Anything that isn't just sitting here obsessing over the attack again and again." My voice broke.

"It's killing me." I confessed. "I have to get back out there to prove that I can. Because I am scared and if I keep staying here and remember crashing through trees or the pain I still feel when I got hurt, it will hold me back."

"Bella--" My father trailed off. His mustache twitched and his eyes became glassy as if in pain.

I grabbed onto his hand too. His grip tightened around mine.

"I know you both mean well. I am so grateful to have parents that put their life on hold to care for me in my time of need. And now I need you in a different way. I need you to understand. My body has healed but my mind can't. I can't move on from what happened inside the safety of our home. I have to get back out there. You're not ready. I don't know if I am ready but I know I won't find out from in here. "

My mother's body sagged into my dad's in defeat. He wrapped his hand that wasn't holding mine around her.

His nose wrinkled before he blew out a deep breath.

"Okay," He barely whispered.

My mom's body trembled, her hand gripped mine tighter. "I don't like this." He continued. "But you were right before. After what happened, I don't think we will ever be ready for you to be back out there. Howver much I would love to lock you in your room for eternity..." I playfully glared at that. "...You're too much like your mother for that. Stubborn and strong willed."

I grinned.

I looked over at her. She seemed to be shaking and my grin slid off my face. "Mom?" I asked questioningly.

Oh boy. She was not okay with this. She seemed seconds away from falling to pieces.

"I didn't die that night." It was blunt but she needed the reassurance. "It's time we all quit walking around here somber as if I did. Fate gave me a second chance and I can't waste it. I have a duty that I can't turn my back on. You have a duty to save lives that you shouldn't turn your back on. The world needs us. It's time we get back out there, both of us."

Her eyes swelled with tears. She tried to smile through the grimace. "Wow, why is this so difficult?" She choked.

My father's hands caressed her back in a soothing motion. "Because our little girl is all grown up and not quite the baby that we still see her as. Change is difficult to accept. Besides, the sooner she figures things out with the Cullens, the sooner both her and Seth will be home. And all of this can finally be put behind us."

But could we really. There were two ways this would end.

One: The Cullens were who they said they were. Not a threat and I would return home to life on the Res and my werewolf pack. To a past I wouldn't claim and I future I didn't want to be a part of.

Two: The Cullens were killing people and would have to be stopped at the expense of my life or those of my pack. We would come for them. For Edward.

I felt like I had been struck in the chest at the thought.

If the second one became reality a lot of life would perish and I hoped surely I would perish with it.

<><><><>

Thanks for reading, commenting, and voting. Stay tuned for more excitement in the coming chapters.

What books are yall enjoying right now? I am always looking to add more books to my reading list. If you are looking for a great book to read, one of my current faves is The Radiant Warrior and the Revelation of the Chosen by RJS416.