CHAPTER 12

My chest felt heavy as I walked outside. My father was nowhere to be seen. Neither was Billy.

I took the steps two at a time. My mind was so overwhelmed that the pain from the steps barely even registered in my rib-cage.

I had the Legends book tucked to my abdomen. My hesitation to how truthful the myths of the Legends book were seemed pointless and moot. 

I was a living, breathing example that they were real. So it stood to reason that the rest was also possible. 

But it was a tough thing to swallow. I already didn't fit in. I stood out too much. I was too different. And now I had done the unthinkable.

I was imprinting on a vampire. 

I shook my head bewildered. I had no idea that was what had been occurring. Those times around him when I felt close to bursting, slowly spiraling out of control. It had been Edward and my soul calling out to his, claiming ownership.

This couldn't be and the pain that rippled inside me felt like a knife to the abdomen.

I clutched the book tighter as my face wrinkled in anguish. There had to be a way to reverse it. To keep it from happening.

My breath was coming faster now as if my heart was in complete disagreement.

My imprint was a hard thing for me to wrap my head around, I couldn't imagine what my pack would think or what Billy would do. I shuddered.

I had to stop this before it was too late. If not for my sake than for Edwards.

"Hey Bella!" I jumped in surprise and quickly turned around to see who called for me.

I wasn't easy to sneak up on with my enhanced hearing which just showed how distracted I was.

I peered into the distance waiting for the form to get closer to see who it was. "Jake?" I asked in question, squinting at him. "Is that you?"

"It's only been a few weeks and you already don't recognize me." He joked.

I grinned. It was definitely him if he was cracking a joke at my expense. He was taller now, more man than boy, which seemed impossible in such a few short weeks. But time could not erase my recognition of the face who use to be my best friend. Before fate changed it all.

My heart ached. I had missed him dearly. The way we use to be when we weren't so different. But the secrets and lies had drawn a wedge between us creating distance. "I'd never forget anyone with hair like that. I see my absence hasn't tamed it. You look like Chucky from Rugrats." I mocked.

He playfully glared before swatting my hands away as I mussed his hair up even more than it already was. I laughed. 

"You are still just as annoying." He admitted.

I smirked. "I don't know why you are complaining because you missed it."

His lips tilted up on one side as his eyes brightened. "True."

He fell in step beside me as we walked along the dirt path. His shoulder brushed mine as he shoved his hands deep in the pockets of his shorts. "So, where have you been? It isn't like you to not be around. Not since those few months you avoided me." His tone grew irritated as he remembered that.

What he couldn't know is that I had been turning into a rage-fueled werewolf and couldn't see him when I was in such a vulnerable state. That had been a hard time on me for several reasons. I had turned into what I believed to be a monster. A thing I didn't believe existed and I had no support from my family and friends except my parents and Sam because the rest couldn't know.