Chapter 6

I felt stiff at dinner. I could feel my father's stare. His eyes had immediately went to me when he came home. I could see the relief in his eyes to see me standing there without a hair out of place.

My mom was practically carrying the conversation going over and over how much she enjoyed her first day at the hospital. Usually Leah was the talker at dinner but she was out with Sam on a date.

I guess I would hear all about that at dinner tomorrow night. I couldn't wait because that meant my mom and the watchful eyes of my father would be focused on her and less on me and Seth.

I felt a little guilty at how quiet he was. Usually he would join in with me as we teased Leah mercilessly but she wasn't here and I knew he wasn't sure what he could say about our first day without revealing something he thought he shouldn't.

"So, come on, tell me everything. How was school?" Seth sent me a look. I picked at my food pretending not to notice.

I knew my father was paying close attention. Just itching to ask me about my day when we were alone.

My mom went on. "So, did you make any friends?" She coaxed.

Seth swallowed around his mouth full of food. "A few." He said as his cheeks pinked.

I knew he was thinking about Angela. My mom nodded knowingly. I think she knew from the hue of his reddening cheeks that his new friend was a girl. She then turned to me.

I shrugged. "It was... you know." I said offhandedly. My father nodded as if he did know.

The walk to Quil's house after dinner was quiet. My father was waiting for me to break the silence and me not knowing what I should say was waiting for him to.

I blew out a deep breath and entered the house as my dad held the door open.

I squared my shoulders and he gave me a curious look.

Billy and Quil were waiting for us.

I tapped my fingers off of my thighs as they took their seats in front of me, gesturing for me to begin.

I inhaled deeply.

"You were right. They definitely have enlisted into school. The ones that look young enough to do so has anyways. There are five of them. I don't know much about the Cullens but I assume the two new additions are there with the others." I thought about the short, black haired girl and her blond companion with the hunger in his eyes. It had to be them.

The Elders seemed to be clinging to my every word.

"I saw them first thing this morning, they were in the hallway as I rushed passed to class. They didn't seem to react to me in any way." I swallowed hard around the words. That wasn't necessarily true. Edward seemed to have a reaction to me, a connection. He definitely had a reaction over me when I looked at him. Or talked to him. Or thought about him. Ugh.

Stay focused. I begged myself.

I tried to keep my voice calm and void when I spoke.

"I don't think they suspect what I am at all." My dad exhaled loudly as he leaned back. It looked like a weight the size of a mack truck lifted off his shoulder.

I gulped down the sick feeling I got for the white lie.

Edward definitely noticed and paid attention to me, he was watching all day but his reaction to me or mine to him was something other than us reacting to each others supernatural genes. Because I didn't have the butterfly reaction to the other vamps.

It had just been him.

"Keep going." Billy prompted.

"There really isn't much more to tell. I was in class most of the day. The few times I saw them they were always together sitting with one another or near each other in the halls. They didn't interact with the other students or reach out to anyone. " Except me. I was close to sweating. How much longer was this going to take? "They stay secluded in their own bubble. To be honest, I don't even think they are remotely interested in the humans. They looked like they couldn't have cared less."