First Date

They got together almost two weeks ago, and they were still shy, almost hesitant to do anything with each other. But only yesterday, did Percy realize they had never gone on a date.

Sure, they had gone outside to eat before. And while Percy liked to imagine they were dates, they were only friends at the time. This was their first official date.

So yesterday, Percy ran to Nico and asked him out. It was out of nowhere, yes, but the idea had been swimming in the back of his head the whole day. Nico had looked up at him, speechless and a bit taken back, but he agreed with a timid smile.

Now, they were walking alongside each other, making their way through the busy streets of Manhattan.

"So, where are we going?" Nico asked.

"I was thinking, ice cream and a walk through a park?" Percy suggested. He asked Piper for some ideas, and she had told him that starting out simple would be the best option. He trusted her judgment, but now, he was worried it wouldn't live up to Nico's expectations.

"Sure." Nico said.

"Is it too little? Or, what would you like to do?" Percy asked, hoping to calm his nerves.

"Oh. I haven't gone on any dates before, but this, this is nice." Nico reassured him.

Percy sighed in relief. He reached for Nico's hand with his pinkie. He looked up at him curiously, but accepted the invitation. Percy interlocked their fingers and gave a small squeeze, looking down to meet his gaze. His warm eyes were sparkling and Percy thought to himself, he had never seen anything more beautiful.

He turned around, watching as the light turned green and they crossed the street. Percy looked to his right, and his eyes landed on a small lady selling flowers. He shook his hand to bring Nico's attention.

"What happened?"

"Nothing, I think we should cross the street here."

"Okay."

They waited until the cars came to a stop, Percy leading the way. They approached the small flower stand, and Percy gently let Nico go to fish out money from his pockets. He'd recently gotten a job at a grocery store, and he was glad to have his own money to use. Now that he lived in an apartment Chiron provided, he needed it to get around the city.

"Hello, would you like some flowers?" the small lady asked.

"Yes please. Could I get those?" Percy asked, pointing to a colorful bouquet far on the right.

"Of course, for the young man next to you, I presume?" she asked, gently wrapping the flowers with a large cream-colored paper. Percy nodded and turned to his boyfriend, whose cheeks were bright red. The kind lady smiled at them approvingly, and handed him the flowers.

"How much?"

"15 dollars."

Percy dug inside his pockets for five more dollars and handed her the money. "Thank you."

She nodded and went to attend another customer. Percy turned to Nico and handed him the bouquet. "For you."

Nico accepted them, inhaling the sweet aroma. "You didn't have to, but thank you. They're beautiful." he said appreciatively. Percy was about to-

"But not as beautiful as you." Nico said, beating him to it. Percy burst out laughing and smacked him on the back, trying desperately to calm his flaring cheeks.

"Who are you? That was so cheesy," he joked. Nico grinned and reached for his hand.

"Anyways, you said we'd get ice cream right? I'm sweating."

"Don't worry Death Boy," Nico raised his eyebrows, amused. "The ice cream parlor is a few streets ahead."

They walked for five more minutes, making small talk about their weekends. They received a disapproving stare from a stranger, but both ignored it, neither willing to give the person the reaction they sought. Percy was not going to let Nico or him feel bad about who they liked. Only they could dictate who they would date, not others.

They reached a small store right in the corner of the street. They went inside, ordered, paid, and patiently waited. Percy had asked for cookies and cream and Nico ordered chocolate ice cream. Percy signaled his boyfriend to sit in the chair beside him, but the man had called out his name, their ice cream cups in hand.

They both thanked the man, and made their way outside.

"Do you want me to carry that for you?" Percy asked, pointing to the flowers in Nico's hand.

"Thanks, but I'm good." Percy nodded and dug into his ice cream with the small spoon. "Is the park far from here?"

"I'm pretty sure it's like a five minute walk from here," Percy said, pointing up ahead with his blue spoon. "Are you tired, we can rest if you'd like."

"No, I was just asking." Nico took a small bite of his dessert and winced. "It's cold."

"Well, it is ice cream." Percy joked.

Nico stared at him. "I know that Perce, but this is like ice."

"I could always eat it for you." he said, reaching for a scoop. Nico moved away, smiling. He watched as the corners of his eyes crinkled, his cheekbones growing more prominent. His smile was infectious, and Percy felt his own lips form into a grin.

"No need, I can eat it." he said, eat a handful to prove his point. Percy smiled, hoping it would show Nico just how much he loved him. 

A/N I was asking some writers what their writing schedules looked like, and many said that they aimed for 1,000 words a day. I was honestly impressed, because for me, it depends on my mood. Sometimes, I can barely write out a few sentences, but other days, I write a good 1,000 words in half an hour.