Afar

Loving from afar was never easy. But it could've been worse, he supposed.

It'd hurt more if his hopes were crushed, at least now, he could hold on uselessly to a smile directed at him. Hold on to those crumbs of love that have him aching for more.

And who to blame but himself?

His heart raced for someone he could never have, and he made no effort to let the feeling go. Trying to move on would mean getting rid of the lovely giddiness in his chest. Even if he wanted to, moving on from Percy Jackson seemed...

How can you move on from someone who makes you so happy just looking at them laugh?

There was some guilt too, but the happy moments, when it was just the two of them in a room together outshone them completely.

They didn't talk often. Everyone was busy. Percy's family was moving out of their apartment into a bigger one. He helped Grover, and together they worked on restoring the green of the earth. Occasionally, Nico tagged along. He assisted Nico with the burials of the deceased campers. All the damage Kronos caused, the whole camp, including Nico, was focused on fixing.

But they would find time to hang out, spar, and he'd admire Percy's swift movements, enamored of him.

He'd never tell a soul what he felt, he planned to keep that love hidden deep inside his heart.

Something told him that he would hurt more if someone knew. They'd pity him, he was sure of it. He didn't need that.

He rarely saw Annabeth, she was overwhelmed with plans to rebuild Olympus. It was a massive project for her, Percy told him, and she wanted to make sure everything was perfect, better than what it used to look like. It was easier to be at camp when she wasn't around, strangely. Percy was special to many, but only the daughter of Athena could call him hers.

A part of him wished that wasn't the reality. The other, smaller and rational part, thought, if he's happy, should I not be happy for him?

He was happy, no doubt. He was happy because of Percy, because Percy made him feel noticed. Happy for Percy's relationship, he tried to be, but...

He wished things were different.

A/N It's been a while since I last updated 😅 BUT, I've been working on this long outline, so I may start writing a multi-chapter fic once I brush up the details and figure out some plot :D Thanks for reading! <3