Deadly Love

Hanahaki disease: a fictional disease where the victim of unrequited or one-sided love begins to vomit or cough up the petals and flowers of a flowering plant growing in their lungs, which will eventually grow large enough to render breathing impossible if left untreated

TW: mentions of blood and vomiting

"Go Percy, she's going to purchase the plane ticket." Nico told him.

"Nico, she doesn't want to talk to me. I-"

"Percy, stop. Don't throw away your happiness for one argument," he reasoned.

"I.. I don't know. I said things I didn't mean," Percy continued, concern obvious in his eyes. "I'm holding her back, I need to let her go on her own to figure out who she is,"

"Then tell her that. Percy?"

"Yes?" Percy stood there, his jet black hair pressed against his forehead, soaking wet from the rain. His sea green eyes looked at Nico for a response, the very same eyes he'd fallen in love with.

"You love her, right?" Nico asked. Percy nodded. His throat tickled but he continued, "Then go after her, and tell her how you feel, clear these misunderstandings. Because before you know it, she'll be on her way to New Rome."

Nico lied, but he needed Percy to go away.

Annabeth wouldn't leave in the midst of an argument, especially one where they decided what their future would look like. Percy wanted them to stay together at Camp Half-blood. Despite being the one to suggest moving to Camp Jupiter, he realized that he wanted to work on his mental health and watch his little sister grow in New York. Annabeth wanted to leave it all behind and pursue architecture in New Rome, arguing it'd be better if they start off new. While Nico didn't want to meddle with Percy's relationship, he honestly thought it'd be better if Annabeth went to New Rome for a while and then return when both their minds were cleared. But in a way, he suspected Annabeth was pushing Percy to pursue his wishes rather than putting hers before his.

Percy stood there, and he put on his hood to shield himself from the pouring rain. It was upsetting, he'd come to Nico for advice and now he was reluctant to listen. Nico gripped the sides of his arms and pushed him away, perhaps a little too aggressively. But Nico was angry, at himself for the most part. If he just stopped wishing for them to be together, everything would hurt less. Loving someone from afar didn't hurt, but fooling yourself into thinking you had a chance and then getting disappointed when they chose another caused pain. Love was a wonderful feeling, desire hurt. But it was nearly impossible to love someone without desiring to be with them, it was practically intertwined.

Percy staggered forward before turning back, but Nico was already leaving.

"Nico?" Percy whispered, unsure. Nico turned around and waved his hands, signaling Percy to go talk to her. He mustered up a smile, because he could never stay angry at him for too long. Percy smiled back, and in the soft voice that made Nico's heart leap out of his chest, said, "Thank you."

"Work it out, you guys make a good team. The next time I see you, you better have talked it out," he warned, turning around, making sure his steps didn't seem rushed and his breathing under control. He refused to look back, in fear of seeing Percy walking away.

It was useless, he heard Percy gaining speed, splashing water as his feet struck the ground. But not towards him. It would always be Annabeth.

He sighed, looking for a place away from strangers passing by. He eyed a secluded corner a few feet away, and he could feel his throat itching. He swallowed desperately to stop the gagging.