01 | LITTLE DARK AGE

IF IT WASN'T BECAUSE THEY'RE running out of groceries, Cascade would not be walking around the busy streets of Westchester County going in and out of supermarkets. She would be in her bedroom enjoying her silence and would either be reading a book or sleeping. The choices weren't that much, but she still prefers it anyway. It was something she's used to.

The threat of a possible world war that would be unlike any other is still hovering above them, like an invisible divine being watching over them. The tensions between the two superpowers — the US and the USSR — are still there, but it was unlike the 60s. This time, however, they are making other countries fight each other in the hopes of contaminating the other's ideology before it could spread across the globe. An example of this is the Vietnam War.

As soon as the war ignited, the US sent military aid to South Vietnam to help them fight against the communist North Vietnam and the Vietcong. Which also means that there are young Americans pulled out of schools and sent to fight the war and probably die there. Almost no one was exempted.

"That will be 200 dollars." She snapped back from her reverie when she heard the cashier speak. Blinking twice, she pulled the dollar bills from her pocket and handed it to the cashier, who's smile on her face was brighter than the sun itself. She is also undeniably gorgeous with an auburn hair in a messy bun, brown eyes and freckles across her face. For her, the cashier's face fits the description of a 'fair lady'. With a smile still plastered on her face, the cashier handed her her groceries. "Thank you for buying here!" Her cheerful voice was followed by a wink that made Cascade grab her things and walk out of the store immediately.

While she was quietly minding her own business and walking on the pavement, her senses did not miss the stares she got from the boys on the other side of the sidewalk. She bites the insides of her cheeks as her grip on her groceries tightens, annoyance rising on her chest. She's not particularly a fan of people watching her movements, it deeply unsettles her. It was as though they're scrutinizing her every movement until they found an error. Whether it might be a mistake or a flaw, she never appreciates it and she prefers if they just leave her alone.

She hails for a cab and as soon as she gets one, she immediately gets inside. "1407 Graymalkin Lane, sir" she told the driver. When she lifts her gaze and stares at the rearview mirror, her brows crease. The man looked at her as if she just said something in a foreign language. "Did I say something wrong, sir?" she inquired.

The driver shakes his head. "But you know, that place is abandoned and no one even goes there. They said that the owner of that mansion is already dead," he explained.

Yeah, because we are all dead inside. She thought before a small smile appeared on her lips. "There is a person going there now and that's me." She pointed to herself, she shifted on her seat. "We better get going, sir. I have a lot of things to do."

"Right away, Miss," said the driver as he restarted the engine of the car before they drove away.

She leaned on her seat and gazed outside of the window. The driver's claim is somehow true, there hasn't been any guest going to the mansion after the students were pulled out due to the war. That said event also pushed her to study in a university to continue her education, Hank insisted that she do so since Charles seems to have stopped functioning like a normal person.