10 | SPECIAL CHAPTER THREE

Cassie hates winter.

She hates how it brought chill down to her spine and the way it covered everything around her in white. She hated the illusion of peace and festivity it created when there's nothing to celebrate when the world is literally covered in frost and snow. For her, there was nothing beautiful about winter — it's just white and cold.

Or perhaps, she just hated it because there are kids playing outside her London apartment, giggles erupting from their lips, while she's inside her room, alone and miles away from home.

She takes a sip on her tea, warming her as she pulls her blanket tighter around herself. Sighing, Cassie puts down the cup of tea and curls herself into a fetal position. The laughter of the kids outside brings misery to her. She shouldn't have agreed when Charles suggested she study overseas. The only shit she got from studying abroad is homesickness. The desperate, wretched ache of wanting to go home and feel the warmth of knowing you're surrounded by people that love you.

Sometimes, when she finds herself unable to sleep, she lies awake as her thoughts slowly pull her back into her mind. There are times the thoughts were pleasant and brought comfort to her, like the moment Peter and her went into a library or just any thoughts concerning her loved ones. But there are times she isn't so fortunate and the world hates her so bad it makes her question everything.

That maybe Charles never truly cared for her and that's why he sent her away so he couldn't deal with her because if he really does care, why would he do this to her? Why would he put her into this shit when there's literally universities back in America? That maybe Peter never really liked her and that he's only befriending her because he's lonely and once he finds someone better, he'll leave? or perhaps Hank is already done with her antics and unpredictable mood swings that he begged Charles to send her away?

Cassie clucked her tongue and rolled her eyes. "I am bored," she muttered to herself as she unwillingly forced herself to get up.

Inhaling a deep breath, she stands up and leaves her bed as she walks towards the mirror, studying herself. Slightly horrified at how terrible she looks, she immediately goes to change into a more decent looking clothes. Perhaps she's only feeling this way because she never leaves her apartment. Maybe if she goes out and visits a public library, maybe she'll be fine.

After putting on some clothes and picking up her favorite Jane Austen book along with her keys and wallet, she heads out for the library.

Another thing Cassie could not comprehend is how it seems like she couldn't get used to the English weather. Sometimes, it would be just fine. The sun's shining and the birds are chirping and the next day, it would be cold, wet, and miserable. It was so different compared to the weather she's used to back in the states.

Despite how desperately she wants to go home, which made her dislike everything around her, she couldn't deny the fact that she likes visiting museums (albeit the fact that nearly every shit displayed there is stolen). It reminds her that even though History can be so cruel, it can also be beautiful.

After a few minutes of walking and purposely avoiding human to human interaction, she finally arrived at her destination. But except that she didn't. Instead of going to the library, she found herself in front of an old book shop. Shrugging her shoulders, she decided to go inside. Cassie takes a deep breath, inhaling the scent of books into her lungs, suddenly, she's back home. A small smile forms on her lips.