03 | THE SPEEDSTER

03 | THE SPEEDSTER

As soon as she left the hall, she immediately went to the kitchen to prepare food for their guest. Cascade wasn't trained to do this kind of thing — serving people as though she's their maid. Especially if the one she's serving are colonizers. She bites her lower lip. It's like she could already hear the sigh of disappointment from her ancestors. But what could she do? Charles and Hank are the only family she has left and if she doesn't care for them, who will?

After she's finished preparing the snacks, she heads back to the place where she first left them, only to be welcomed by the three men gathered inside Charles' office surrounding a table — already talking about their game plan.

When she saw them, planning their move — not waiting for her, not even noticing her presence. A lump formed on her throat, her heart hurts as it beats. Biting her lips, she swallowed it down and forced herself to make a u-turn and head back to the kitchen. Her trip became unnecessary as she was stuck in her head, thinking of reasons why they had chosen to exclude her — or to not even wait for her.

They were supposed to be planning this thing together, the four of them. She was supposed to be there with them, but why hadn't they waited for her? Sure, they might have an important reason why they chose to not wait for her anymore. And she should understand that. But she couldn't help but to feel...to feel unimportant — excluded.

It made all of her efforts crumble into dust. A humorless laugh escaped from her lips. She shouldn't be stressing on things like this, it's not even that big compared to the problem they're facing — she shouldn't be making a fuss about it.

When she arrived back at the kitchen, instead of wasting the snack she had prepared for them, she ate it all by herself. Not leaving a single scrape for the three. If they don't want to wait for her, then fine. She knows this won't probably be the last and she wouldn't force herself to be included on it if she could have all the food in their cupboard all by herself and those three could die of hunger. Unsurprisingly, the thought was enough to bring her comfort.

The moment she finished eating, it was also the same time Hank entered the kitchen. Awkward silence hung between the two of them as he stared at the empty tray in front of her then back at her again. Probably doing Math on how the two things relate to the other. She rolled her eyes at him. "What?"

"I thought you would bring the guest a snack?" he asked, she nodded her head. The guy gestured at the empty tray. "Then why did you eat it all by yourself?"

She scoffed. "The same reason why you didn't wait for me before you started your meeting."

He didn't manage to reply. She clicked her tongue. With the use of her mutant ability, she made the empty tray float until it reached the sink then she stood up from her seat. "Don't worry, I understand why you chose to leave me out," she said in a sarcastic manner.

Hank shakes his head. "You are sometimes very capricious."

She burps. The older man stared at her with his eyes wide open. "Pardon me. I am too full to even process what you just said. Just tell Charles that I do not want this to happen anymore and if it does, tell him to look for a new mansion, because I will burn this whole school to the ground."