Chapter 9 "Legacy"

Lightning cracked and thunder roared under the massive silver and red pyramid, hovering mere meters above the sandy ground, kicking up a dust storm around itself. Every strike from the crimson lightning melted the sand to glass, and then sublimating what remained beneath. Several kilometers away, the Capitol of Qo'nos had been put on lockdown, and an army fifty strong had been assembled at the gates, waiting for the order to march out towards the gray pyramid. But, in the throne room of the Capitol building, Kal'ia sat staring at the pyramid with dread, as a doctor and an engineer flanked her on either side.

The engineer tightened a strap around her waist, connecting her to an exo-skeleton of some kind, bound to her legs. The doctor briefly took his eyes off Kal'ia to look at the pyramid in the distance.

Doctor; "Were we wrong to go to space? It seems to be more trouble than it's worth."

Kal'ia sat there staring out the window, but here eyes weren't focused on the pyramid anymore. Not on anyone or anything; just spaced out. The doctor looked at her with slight worry, asking again.

Doctor; "Kal'ia?"

She shook her head briefly as she came out of her stupor, looking at the doctor sheepishly.

Kal'ia; "Sorry, doctor... Um... Oh, yes... It absolutely is worth it. For your children, and their children, and their children to have better lives than us. Think of the abundance of food they'll have with two or more planets supplying crops!"

Doctor; "I hate kids."

Kal'ia; "I meant for the children of Lorinthia in general. You don't have to have hatchlings if you don't want to."

The doctor nodded gently, pulling up a notepad and writing down in near-unintelligible script "Showing symptoms of Dementia.".

Kal'ia; "There may be danger, yes... But there will be great bounty."

The engineer stands and wipes her brow, panting softly.

Engineer; "Alright... Can you stand?"

Kal'ia replied with a hint of snark in her tone.

Kal'ia; "I don't know, can I?"

The doctor stifled a laugh and the Engineer shook her head out of amusement.

Engineer; "Well, give it a try."

Kal'ia planted the palms of her hands on the edge of the armrests to the throne and she slowly pushed herself up to stand upright, holding out her arms to keep balance, the engineer also holding out hers to catch her if she fell forward. She straightened her posture with bated breath, letting out a relieved sigh as she kept her balance. Slowly, she turned to face the doctor and gave him the Lorinthian salute.

Kal'ia; "Thank you, Doctor. You're dismissed."

The doctor saluted in kind and walked for the door, as did the Engineer, but Kal'ia called for her.

Kal'ia; "You. I'm not done with you yet."

She returned to Kal'ia with haste, saluting and moving her hands to her sides to stand at attention.

Kal'ia; "At ease... What's your name, young one?"

She let her shoulders droop slightly and took a deep breath.

Engineer; "Um... Numeeva Xerseus, of clan Cysko'dro'ranin... But you can call me Numi."

Kal'ia; "Numi... I need you to do something for me. I need you to deliver a message."

Numi; "Anything, Empress... But, why me? Why not the doctor? He's older and more distinguished."

Kal'ia; "He is those things, but also too cautious. He would think me mad if I told him what I'm about to tell you."