Chapter 13

Hey guys! I'm sorry I haven't updated in so long, school got in the way and I just didn't have time.
I decided to split this part into two chapters cause it's gonna be super long and I don't have the second part finished yet sooo...

It's pretty sucky but the second part will be better, I promise!

Zayn hears the doorbell ring and it takes him a good minute before he realises that Ed was supposed to visit today. Liam is already letting their friend in. Zayn groans as he tries to get up from the couch without waking up Harry. The boy fell asleep on his lap when they were watching cartoons earlier that day.

"Zayn!" Ed pulls him in for a hug, waking Harry up in the process.

"Hey! I have a sleeping- nevermind."

"Oops, sorry. Hello there! And what is your name, young man?"

Harry giggles and squirms out of Zayn's grasp. "I'm Haree! I'm five!" he holds up five fingers and gives Ed the biggest smile he can manage.

"Daaad! I'm hungryyy! Can I have ice crea- Who's that?"
Niall stops in the doorway when he notices the stranger.

"Nialler," Zayn sighs, "one, no you can't have ice cream right now, and two, this is not how we talk to people, young man."
Niall nods but doesn't say anything. Instead he takes a step towards Liam and cuddles to his side.

Eventually, he speaks up.
"Sorry. 'M Niall." He mumbles into his Dad's t-shirt.

"Nice to meet you! I'm Ed."

Niall nods again. He doesn't really feel like talking right now unless he has to. Ed doesn't look scary at all, he's not even tall. But Niall can't trust him. Niall can't bring himself to trust people. He knows that he shouldn't be scared. But he doesn't want to trust anyone. Maybe he does. He doesn't really know. But he knows that people can be bad.

He snuggles even closer to his Dad after everyone else moves to the living room.

"Are you alright Bud?"
Niall shrugs.
"Sweetheart, I promise Ed is nice. Ash was nice, right?"
Niall nods.
"Well Ed is nice too. And he doesn't even look scary, right? He's small. I think you'd even fight him off. Plus, Ed plays the guitar. So he's better than Ashton." Dad winks at him and he has to smile.

"Does he really? But- you'll stay with me right? Like you did when Ash was here?"

"Course, Buddy. But you really don't need to be scared, trust me."