Part 23

My pulse gradually accelerates with each heavy step.
I feel itchy all over despite the gown I'm wearing being made of the most expensive & luxurious silk.
"Don't be nervous. I'm sure she'll love you." Jungkook squeezes my hand & smiles encouragingly at me.
I nod & return his smile, but that doesn't mean that I feel any less anxious.
The memory from that awful day is all coming back to me. The murderous look in her eyes, her manic scream. I'm definitely not ready to meet the queen again.
"We're here. Are you ready?" Jungkook halts his step in front of the glass house & turns to me.
I straighten my back & brush my fingers over non-existent creases on the skirt of my pink gown.
"Do I look presentable?" I nervously ask Jungkook.
"You look absolutely stunning, although I prefer the purple ballgown I gifted you yesterday. And why didn't you wear the sapphire necklace? I especially ordered that to match the engagement ring." He takes my hand & rubs his thumb over the cushion-cut sapphire on my ring finger.
"Oh, I figured it was a bit too extravagant." I lower my head & gulp.
"You are going to be my queen. There's no such thing as too extravagant for you." He chuckles.
To be honest, I didn't want to wear the purple gown & sapphire necklace because they remind me of the outfit I wore on my first meeting with the queen. Even though I have yet to know what exactly triggered her brutality towards me that day, I intentionally dress myself differently to avoid provoking her again.
"Let's go in. She must be waiting for us inside." Jungkook pushes the door open & tugs my hand.
I take a deep breath to calm myself down & lift my chin up.
Just keep your head down & don't look at her in the eyes. You can do this, Y/n ah.
"Mother! Mother!" Jungkook calls out.l as we climb up the stairs to the second level.
However, the glass house seems to be empty. No one is in sight.
"That's weird. She's always here at this hour." He mumbles to himself.
I sigh quietly in relief. Maybe I don't need to face her today.
"Uhm.. Then, shall we come back here another day?" I hesitantly suggest.
"No, I'll go down & tell the guards to find out where she is. Although it's only formality, we need to get her blessing today so that we can proceed with the wedding planning."
"I'll come with you."
"There's no need. Just wait here. I'll be back soon." He pats my hand before runs downstairs.
I'm not sure if it's all just in my head but the air suddenly feels chilly as eery silence falls upon me.
Stop scaring yourself.
I shake my head & look around the space to divert my attention.
My eyes fall on the stacks of canvases leaning against the wall at the other end of the room. They are all covered with a huge piece of fabric, so only the bottom halves of them are visible.
"Are those the Queen's paintings?"
Out of curiosity, I walk towards them & lift one corner of the fabric up to take a peek.
"Oh my God!" I instantly gasp & let go of the fabric as I see a glimpse of the frontmost painting.
What was that?
Heart pounding, I muster all my courage & lift the fabric up again, revealing the painting.
My jaw drops to the floor when I see the full picture. It's a painting of Taehyung, drawn with vivid colors & such details that makes it seem alive. His piercing gaze penetrates my widened eyes, overwhelming me with an indescribable emotion.

 His piercing gaze penetrates my widened eyes, overwhelming me with an indescribable emotion